Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

losing power when towing

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2015, 11:26 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default losing power when towing

I have a '14 1500 dbl cab with the 6.2 with max tow package. Over mothers day weekend we went camping (towing the same camper as last year) and we noticed that the truck was struggling a bit. We went to the same place we did last year and the same route, same amount of people, etc. My camper grosses around 9600 but we're never near that. When we were rolling, we noticed that the truck was struggling on some "flat roads" and especially up the smallest hill. Last year the truck towed like a dream and we couldn't even notice I was towing anything.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar?
Old May 18th, 2015, 12:20 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Two things come to mind but you sorta covered one by saying you have done the trip before...
1. Altitude, you can loose up to 25% of your power as you rise into thin air
2. Fuel, if your tank had more alcohol based fuel you will loose some power and if that was coupled with altitude its a double whammy...

Should also consider how clean your air filter is...
Old May 18th, 2015, 12:37 PM
CF Beginner

the air filter is brand new has a replaced the OEM with an K&N prior to the trip. I've been using the same fuel since I bought the truck. I live in CT and went to the same location and route as we did last year with it
Old May 18th, 2015, 12:41 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by bagged123
the air filter is brand new has a replaced the OEM with an K&N prior to the trip. I've been using the same fuel since I bought the truck. I live in CT and went to the same location and route as we did last year with it
Ah! that could be your problem right there... if the K&N had too much oil on it , its likely contaminated your MAF sensor.....
Try cleaning the MAF with the proper cleaner and see if that restores the power...
And put the factory filter back in...
Old May 18th, 2015, 12:43 PM
CF Beginner

i'm going camping this weekend, so i'll put the OEM back in, and clean it out, and report monday
Old May 18th, 2015, 10:02 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by bagged123
i'm going camping this weekend, so i'll put the OEM back in, and clean it out, and report monday
Hey there,

We apologize for these unexpected concerns with your truck! We would be happy to add an extra layer of assistance if any additional concerns occur during your camping trip. Feel free to let us know in a private message, but we hope for the best on your extended weekend!

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care