Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

low oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old January 14th, 2011, 11:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default low oil pressure

Hey guys, my wifes 05 trucks oil gauge keeps going from 0-max (80? i think), there is the right amount of oil in the truck and it seems to run fine, when its says 0 and i turn the truck off, the gauge will reset and work like it normally should. is this a sensor problem or a pump problem? thanks.
Old January 15th, 2011, 1:46 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmm good one, it may be a sensor why not get a mechanic to hook up a mechanical one quickly to see if the guage is right or if it is wrong....but at the price of a mechanic doing this u could just buy the sensor
Old January 15th, 2011, 7:13 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 2wd-K5
hmmm good one, it may be a sensor why not get a mechanic to hook up a mechanical one quickly to see if the guage is right or if it is wrong....but at the price of a mechanic doing this u could just buy the sensor
yeah im trying to avoid that, my question is, if the pump is faulty wouldnt the engine be running noticeably different? also if its the pump/sensor wouldnt the check engine light come on so i could read the code?
Old January 15th, 2011, 8:36 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my 01 was doin the same so I replace the sensor and it works great now. no fluctuatin at all...but mine didn't throw a code so the light never came one
Old January 15th, 2011, 9:59 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by country_09
my 01 was doin the same so I replace the sensor and it works great now. no fluctuatin at all...but mine didn't throw a code so the light never came one
ok cool, is that a pretty quick straightforward job or a PITA?
Old January 15th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

straight forward lol. oil pressing sendin unit is what I replaced. bought it at autozone and had to get the special socket for it too but you just unscrew the unit and screw the new one on. the hardest part is gettin to it, its on the back of the motor on the drivers side so you'll have to feel around for it but it sticks straight up
Old January 15th, 2011, 12:53 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by country_09
straight forward lol. oil pressing sendin unit is what I replaced. bought it at autozone and had to get the special socket for it too but you just unscrew the unit and screw the new one on. the hardest part is gettin to it, its on the back of the motor on the drivers side so you'll have to feel around for it but it sticks straight up
yeah i figured it couldnt be to complicated, i just want to make sure that is the problem before i spend money/time replacing it