Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Mobil One or Castrol Syntec?

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2009, 10:09 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mobil One or Castrol Syntec?

I have a 09 Silverado 5.3, which oil should I use, Castrol Syntec or Mobil One?, Thanks.
Old May 25th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mobil 1 all the way. Only brand I ever use
Old May 25th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

So I guess Shoprite vegetable oil is out of the question...

If you've managed to eliminate Royal Purple and AMSOIL as well as the rest, why not just test your two finalists yourself and see which you like best?

Castrol was more small-engine and Motorcycle bred, but Mobil-1 appears to be very popular in many V8 circles...
Old May 25th, 2009, 10:47 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rivereye
So I guess Shoprite vegetable oil is out of the question...

If you've managed to eliminate Royal Purple and AMSOIL as well as the rest, why not just test your two finalists yourself and see which you like best?

love this!!!
indeed, why use the best, if they tell you on TV that this or that is the best for you? or grandpa Joe was using that for years, changed engines every 3 years, but i'll keep using same oil, cuz he did...

what is it with this country and Mobil1 oil? there are plethora of oils, that are much better at compatible pricing. there are several oils that are simply superior to anything else, including M1 and other claimants, at higher price. yet, forums keep firmly believing that M1 is just Alpha and Omega of oils.
where does this come from?
i have done it few times before, and without going through lengthy explanation how i know (54 000 miles one year), i can tell you - M1 product is no better than Quaker state. having Royal Purple and Amsoil readily available - why would you even consider anything else?

Disclaimer: only if engine is not taking oil!!!
Old May 26th, 2009, 12:22 AM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am use'n Royal Purple for the first time at the moment but I used Mobil 1 for many years and it is a excellent oil, there may be better oils but all oils get dirty after a few thousand miles, so longer lasting oil that does not break down until 20,000 miles means nothing to me because it gets dirty alot earlier than that.
Old May 26th, 2009, 7:00 AM
CF Junior Member

AMSoil is the best choice. Get the AMSoil Ea filter to go woth it.
Old May 28th, 2009, 12:01 AM
CF Active Member

I 100% agree with Mike Sigmond. One function of oil is to collect dirt. All oil collects dirt at pretty much the same rate. Dirty oil has to be changed. I think all oil actually has to be changed way before it breaks down due to dirtiness.
Old May 28th, 2009, 12:12 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lets stop this oil argument before it gets out of hand! There are plenty of oil arguments in the forum.
Old May 28th, 2009, 12:15 AM
CF Active Member

You know it's not an argument until texas cop comes in, duh! LOL. It didn't seem like an argument, but we prolly should stop it before it starts, I agree.
Old May 28th, 2009, 12:21 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 98white5.0
You know it's not an argument until texas cop comes in, duh! LOL. It didn't seem like an argument, but we prolly should stop it before it starts, I agree.
Yeah Lol! I know it just seems like we had a seven page argument a month ago and everyone said what they liked and why! So I thought people could search for that. Plus there is another oil discussion going on right now. And trust me with a few more peoples opinions it will turn into an argument!

Quick Reply: Mobil One or Castrol Syntec?