Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Mobil One or Castrol Syntec?

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2009, 12:32 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Oh yea, I think we were both in that argument (on the same side, of course). It seems like oil is a touchy subject around here. Sometimes the debates do get a little entertaining, though
Old May 28th, 2009, 12:35 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes It is a very touchy subject! In the end though I say use what you like and can speak good about!
Old May 28th, 2009, 1:51 AM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its all clean discussion to me so far
Old May 30th, 2009, 12:16 AM
CF Beginner

I have to put my 2 cents in...

I bought a brand new 2001 SWB Single Cab 4x4 Z71 back in 2001. I was hard on vehicles. Most vehicles wouldn't last a year. The day I bought this truck I took it down to Chrystal Beach (by Galveston Tx) and was driving through sand and salt water. The next weekend I took it out to the country and was all through the river, mud holes and slews. I didn't do my first oil change until 24k miles. Didn't do my second one until 15k after that. The truck had non-synthetic oil in it. At about 75k miles I started using Mobile 1.

I took that truck through rivers, the ocean, sand, mud, you name it. I buried it in 2 sandy creek beds.

It was only the back of a recker 3 times. The first time at 93k miles when the rear end went out from never changing the fluids. The second time at about 125k miles when I wrecked it and had the truck about 3 feet off the ground with a 4x4 post stuck in the tranny. The last time was about 6 months ago at 199,199 miles when I broke a valve spring. When I pulled my intake off I found a dead baby crawfish. It had been a couple of years since I had taken it through a mud hole so that thing had been there for a while.

I don't think Mobile 1 is the best. I do believe that motor would not have lasted that long if I hadn't started using it at about 75k miles. The motor was still running strong when the valve spring broke.

From experience I am sold on it. Wheather it's the best or not, I don't know nor am I going to try to tell someone what they have isn't as good.

I just put another motor in my truck that was used with 72k miles. I went with cheap Autozone oil for the first 2 gas tanks and now it's got Mobile 1 in it.
Old May 30th, 2009, 1:04 AM
CF Beginner

I realize I miss spelled Mobil wrong all through my last post.

Attached are a few pics I took with my phone of my motor that has 199,199 miles on it. I couldn't get any good shots of the head that I took off. The best shot I got was the close up of the valve with the broke spring.

The trash you see down in the cylinders fell there when I removed the head.
Attached Thumbnails Mobil One or Castrol Syntec?-img01210.jpg   Mobil One or Castrol Syntec?-img01207.jpg