Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need advice related to my 4L60E

Search this Thread

Old October 11th, 2015, 6:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need advice related to my 4L60E

Hey Guys,

I have a 4L60E in a 1997 k1500.... it's a GM Remanufactured transmission, and it seems to be some sort of 1997/1998 hybrid.

The case is stamped 24202520 and the label reads HydraMatic 7KC D7 -- there isnt much out thre on this, but what I can find, says this is a 1997 case. Single peice bellhousing, no top bolt, 6 bolts total.

But, the pump (24201073 G-4 3A F PWM) is a 1998 model from what I can tell, and the valve body (4209354 SERV) is a 1998 valve body.

Clearly, this did work, as when I bought the truck the transmission was in fine working order, but eventually, I started getting slippage going into 2nd, and decided to do a rebuild on it.

More just looking to the 4L60E gurus for some commentary on this transmission. Am I interpreting things correctly here? I'd really like to confirm what year this is, or how common a 97/98 hybrid is, and what sort of pitfalls there may be.

I tore down the valve body, and noticed that the TCC valve isnt a SONNEX, but also, the valve parts dont match any documentation I have, and they just slide around in the bore. Also, there seems to be some sliding around in the 2-3 shift valve bore, but at least those parts look correct. I'm referencing the 4L60E 1996-2006 valve body exploded view picture thats floating around.

I don't know if the sliding around in the bore is normal or not. I dont know if I should just buy a 1998 remanufactured valve body w/ the sonnex mod already done (im leaning towards this). I don't know if a 1998 valve body is actually supposed to be on a 1997 case or not, or even if im interpreting the case ID correctly.

4L60E gurus... please help! I'd be happy to provide any further information on this, including photos, as requested.

Thank you!