Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New believer of road force balancing..

Search this Thread

Old January 3rd, 2016, 7:53 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New believer of road force balancing..

Id like to share ny experience i just had with my FSC. Recently put new Toyo H\T tires on my truck. I work at a tire shop and got an amazing deal. Mounted and balanced, they shook. They had a very fine vibration starting at 60MPH and ending at 75MPH. They only did it warm too. it was a hand numbing vibration that didnt go away with rotates. I static balanced them over 6 times, indexed them twice, and replaced a crap ton of stuff in the process. I noticed if i removed weights the vibration changed in speed, telling me it was tires. Since our trucks have aluminum drivelines, rims, transmissions and front diffs that are all connected vibrations were impossible to isolate. Somedays id feel it in the seats, the wheel, the dash, or all three. After a 300 mile trip up north i got pissed off because it got to the point where my dash was rattling and my hands hurt. It was a very unpleasant truck to drive. The vibration was so fine and harsh. I took the truck to a tire shop with a hunter road force machine and forked out over a hundred dollars to hopefully fix my dreaded vibrations. After two hours they called and told me one of my tires had ALOT of runout, but the rest were perfectly balanced. They said it had horizontal movement so they indexed it and balanced it. I drove out of their driveway and instantly felt a significant difference in how my truck handled. The ride was smooth, quiet and didn't have a harsh feeling that started at 40MPH. My truck waa the quietest besr riding vehicle i ever drove After this.

If you dont believe in these machines give it a try and ask for the most experienced guy they have. I did this and i dont regret a thing. If i could pay more i would.

Thanks!
Old January 4th, 2016, 7:22 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

they are amazing machines...$10 000 and you can have one.
not only can they match mount the tire and rim but they can also tell you where to install the balanced assembly for least vibration or least tire pull.

Last edited by tech2; January 4th, 2016 at 7:25 AM.
Old January 4th, 2016, 7:46 AM
CF Veteran

we finally got one about 6 months ago and I'd never go back to a standard balancer, its unbelievable how many bad tires we get that are brand new and the headaches it saves from that alone are worth it.
Old January 5th, 2016, 12:19 AM
CF Junior Member

Keep pushing the boss to replace the hunter statuc balancer we have.. thing sucks so much ***. I don't know how people can diss on RFB. all tires should be done this way
Old January 9th, 2016, 4:41 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Or you can use what I use in my 445/50R22.5 semi drive tires.... balancing beads. Cheap and adjust to the tire as you drive. Haven't tried them on my pickup yet, but I got 447,000 miles out of my last set of semi truck drive tires using this stuff. Never had the tires spun up from the beginning. Just the beads when the tires were mounted on the rims. TPMS compatible.

Counteract Tire Balancing Beads
Old January 9th, 2016, 4:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

some people love the beads for large tires, especially if the tire balancer is not designed for oversized monsters.

best fun ever....watching the apprentice try to dynamically balance a tire that already has a bag of beads in it.

Last edited by tech2; January 9th, 2016 at 4:59 PM.
Old January 10th, 2016, 7:46 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah that would be a kick to watch! The Beads can be used across every platform from semi trucks down to motorcycles. Key thing is, it is a very cost effective way to go and balancing is "as you drive" and no need to ever have the tires balanced for their life. In the past, I might have been skeptical of such a thing, but after using them, they are indeed the cat's meow. They balance the entire tire/wheel/brake/hub assembly on the fly.