Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New to forum - Have a misfire

Search this Thread

Old January 8th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

His injectors are outside of the intake. Unbolt the fuel rail and wiggle the out of the intake. More then likely you only have to pick up the one side. Before you do that wiggle the wires going ion the injector while it is running. Does it change the way it runs
Old January 9th, 2012, 10:46 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree with MDTahoe. Your set up is different. I have a 2003 with 4.3L V6, no fuel rail on mine. So I have to dig deeper to get to them. Yours will be an easier fix and less expensive, if you can just remove the fuel rail and replace the bad injector.
Old January 12th, 2012, 9:20 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys I have an update. So, I needed the truck for work this week and I decided to put some cleaner in the tank (techron) just to see what happens. After driving it around for about an hour with the cleaner in it, I cleared the codes and went into a clients house for a while. When I came out, I started the truck and proceeded to drive home (about a 20 minute trip). To my surprise, NO CODES the entire way home. I couldn't believe how well it worked and I was excited that my troubleshooting had come to an end. However, my happiness was short lived. I drove to work the next morning and sure enough, about 3 miles down the road, the CEL came on with a p0303 code. I figured that there could have been some left over buildup on the injector making the code, so I pulled over, cleared it and went on my way to see what happened. Sure enough, from that point on, the entire time I drove to the job site (about 25 more minutes) there were no codes. Again, I was excited. At the end of the day I turned the truck on, drove home, and got another p0303 code. What the heck.

The last few days I have been going through this process: If I clear the codes and drive, then the entire trip I won't have any issues. However, if I turn the truck off/on after that and drive then I will get codes. Its very frustrating.

Any thoughts? Since the cleaner in the tank helped a bit should I try the professional cleaning? Should I just buy and install a new injector?
Old January 12th, 2012, 8:49 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Code will not return immediately when code are reset unless a sensor is straight up disconnected or there is a dead misfire. OBD II must see various things happen before the readiness monitors come back online. You could repeat your process everyday without putting anything in the tank and get the exact same results. Read this article for a better description, there is a section on the misfire monitor

OBD II Engine Diagnostics