Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

New and have questions before buying??

Search this Thread

Old January 19th, 2011, 4:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New and have questions before buying??

Thinking about trading my Ram for a new Silverado and have a few questions. My Ram is 2wd which is the biggest reason i'm thinking of getting rid of it, I need a 4wd. The truck I like and test rode is a 2011 crew cab LTZ with the Z71 appearance package and Z71 off road package. It has everything I'm looking for but I'm down grading some of the creature comforts that my dodge has like a tonneo cover, nav and rear seat dvd. What I'm wondering is the Z71 anything special or would the normal 4x4 be fine? And the other is the LTZ, would the LT or LS be just as good? I tow a 7x15 enclosed motorcycle trailer and need to be sure i'm not going to over heat, also looking to get a toyhauler camper in the furture and wondering how the transmissions hold up.

Would like some pro's and con's from anyone who has gone from a Dodge to a Chevy, real stuff not the rival stuff. I know my truck has more power and torque and has been dyno'ed at 340hp and 360 tq at the rear wheels but I put alot of money into the engine because I use to drag race it a little. Mid 13's normal and high 12's with a 125 shot of the juice.
Now I have a 9month old son and where getting ready to retire from the military and settle in east Tenn and want a 4x4, so I want to trade speed for off road with with an on road look. The Chevy is by far the best looking truck out there right now and I like the color matching front, handles and mirrors on the LTZ. So is the Z71 LTZ a good buy or should I save some coin and go with a 4x4 LT? Thoughts???
Old January 19th, 2011, 5:10 PM
CF Beginner

well i went from chevy to dodge. My wife still has a chevy and wont get ride of it, i dont like the IFS at all. its ****. but for towing the z71 would be fine. off-road though (i personally) wouldnt do to much rough thrashing just because of the IFS. if your looking to tow anything bigger or heavier, maybe check out the HD or a dually. its pretty much personal preference between the LTZ, LT, LS etc. all are good strong trucks so im sure you will be happy either way.
Old January 19th, 2011, 9:26 PM
CF Active Member

well z71 just means the suspension package of the truck
z71 is the off road package wich means it comes with skid plates bigger tires and everything it needs for off roading theres also the z85 i think its called wich is ment for hauling its a beefier stronger suspension
i wouldnt get the 4x4 with out the z71

also about kinda downgrading there are packages that come with the indash nav and if power is your concern the new 5.3 are making big hp and if you want more there is a 6.0 wich i have in my truck yea its a 99 but it has power never had a problem pulling anything ltz lt and ls are just comfort packages for the most part basicly what they come with more comes with the ltz but u can get the same as the ls but u have to order it u can go look on www.chevrolet.com and u can build your own truck to see what it comes with and all

hope this helps
Old January 21st, 2011, 7:45 AM
CF Junior Member

if you are gonna tow, and are usto performance, and you are buying a new truck, it is worth the extra money for a Duramax.

i have an 08 1-ton dually with a duramax, and an 96 1-ton dually with a modified 454, and there is a night and day difference towing with the duramax
Old January 21st, 2011, 12:03 PM
CF Beginner

Really the most important decision is how much you want to spend. I have 2011 Silverado LTZ 4x4 with the 6.2 (stock approx 405 hp). That is more power than most people ever need for playing or towing. I also got the Nav pkg with rear camera. As stated above check out chevrolet.com and build your own and see if you can live with the costs.
Old January 21st, 2011, 5:41 PM
CF Beginner

I've built it many times on the Chevy dealer site and can't decide what I really want. Thanks for all the replies by the way.

We have a Silverado at work that my boss drives and he hates it, someting about the brakes come on when its bumby or one of the rear tires start to spin???? He said it's one of the most un-safe things he has ever seen and it's almost got him broad sided a couple times going from a dirt road trying to cross a hard ball road to another dirt road on the other side, one tire3 would spin a little and harf way into the road the brakes would come on?? Is this the same with all the Chevy trucks and can it be deactivated?
Old January 21st, 2011, 6:00 PM
CF Beginner

I've never heard of that happening. This is my third Silverado and have loved them all.

Trending Topics

Old January 21st, 2011, 7:47 PM
CF Junior Member

had similar issues with the anti-locks in my 95 and 96 chevys, but it was something to do with the old anti-lock system, i just pulled the fuses and ran with no anti-locks as they are not required to pass inspection.....

if a new truck is doing it, id recommend bringing it in if it's still under warranty
Old January 21st, 2011, 8:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like the ABS system, but it sounds normal to me. Maybe your boss cant drive worth a blind bear with a bum leg?
Old January 21st, 2011, 10:32 PM
CF Beginner

OK, so the brake thing is not common. I would have figured a problem like that would be more common they way he talked about it, so i'm guessing its something wrong with the truck he drives. Thats really had me worried about getting a new Chevy, his work truck is an 09.

Quick Reply: New and have questions before buying??