Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New Member- 84 Silverado Problems

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2008, 10:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member- 84 Silverado Problems

Hello, guys. I'm Dave, and I have 3 Chevy's, (75 Corvette, 77 C-30, 84 C-10 Silverado). I'm really glad to finally find a chevy forum that appears to have some activity on it. Anyhow, I've been having some problems lately with getting my 84 Silverado (305 4BBL Carb V8, Turbo 350 Automatic) running. When I go to start it up , it starts backfiring through the carb, and runs really rough. I pulled out my spark plugs, and they all seem to be carbon fouled. I've got
new plugs, and plan on installing them tomorrow, but I was wondering, if the plugs don't solve my problem, what other things could be wrong. The truck has a really high idle (2000+ RPM), and I've not had any success trying to adjust the carb in order to slow it down. A mechanictold me that I needed a new carb, but I wouldn't think that would cause these kinds of problems?

All suggestions appreciated,

Dave
Old May 15th, 2008, 11:28 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: New Member- 84 Silverado Problems

my first guess would be to adjust the carb because it seems like it is sending too much fuel through, wether the carb is the problem i really doubt it
Old May 16th, 2008, 12:02 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: New Member- 84 Silverado Problems

gradymotorco, welcome to the forum!!! IMO, there many things that can happen with a carb to cause problems. See what the plugs do and report back and see if we can helpget it running for you.