Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New rear end, now the diff. is leaking

Search this Thread

Old July 27th, 2007, 5:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New rear end, now the diff. is leaking

My rear end recently went out on my truck (signature). I was driving about 25 MPH and I heard a horrible noise and I couldn't move and my truck was like "skidding" and I stopped it. I took it to a shop the next day, he thought it was the tranny. Then about 5 days later he got the part for my tranny and found out that wasn't it. He then said it was the rear end, and I needed a whole new one, which would take 5 more days. (Man was I mad). I guess it went out because I would go mudding with it, but I only mudded about 3 times.

Anyways, he put that new part on, and it looks rust as all hell, and now the differential is leaking slowly. It's just dripping but if I leave it in my driveway all night there will be a puddle the size of a small plate I guess I could say. So what is it? The seal or the gasket leaking? Or brake fluid? Because I noticed I ain't gettin' much power from my truck anymore when I accelerate. I am not good with under the body jobs except exhaust so I am going to have to take it back to him, but I want to know what it really is first.
Old August 4th, 2007, 5:41 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: New rear end, now the diff. is leaking

Well to rule out the service cover seal leaking just take that off put new fluid in the differential and seal with Permatex's black silicone sealer. If that doesnt stop it check your drive pinion seal beacause if you couldnt move maybe the ring gear possibly screwed your drive pinion bearing n pushed out or damaged your drive pinion seal. If thats not it You might have a cracked housing.
Old August 6th, 2007, 6:16 PM
CF Senior Member

Default RE: New rear end, now the diff. is leaking

Before you start taking anything apart, look at the brake line on top of the diff. You should see a tee fitting, a supply and two lines one going to each brake. If that area is dry it's not the brakes. If it is the brakes check the fluid. Then look at the cover. If their is oil any where other than the bottom thats leaking. If their is some on the bottom but that's it is may be leaking, but look at the yoke where the drive shaft connects, if their is oil there the imput seal is leaking. If it is on the sides you may need new axle tubes, in which case I would take it back and make him change the diff again. As for the rust it probably came from a junk yard. You are probably lacking power cause you have a lower ratio now too. I could be wrong but that's my guess.