Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New tires and wheels help

Search this Thread

Old September 10th, 2009, 11:14 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New tires and wheels help

I have a stock 2009 regular cab long box 1/2 ton Silverado and wanted bigger tires and wheels. I would need to do a leveling kit to fit the 285s that I want on it. The question I have is, what width and offset wheel should I get to fill the fender? Keep in mind I want a wider stance and will be putting Bushwacker Pocket Style fender flares on it. I was looking at 18" x 10.5" rims and was wondering if that would look good or could I achieve filling out the fenders with a certain offset or spacer? Also, how would an offset or spacer affect the truck? Any thoughts and or help will be greatly appreciated.
Old September 10th, 2009, 11:26 AM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2009ChevyRegCabLgBox
I have a stock 2009 regular cab long box 1/2 ton Silverado and wanted bigger tires and wheels. I would need to do a leveling kit to fit the 285s that I want on it. The question I have is, what width and offset wheel should I get to fill the fender? Keep in mind I want a wider stance and will be putting Bushwacker Pocket Style fender flares on it. I was looking at 18" x 10.5" rims and was wondering if that would look good or could I achieve filling out the fenders with a certain offset or spacer? Also, how would an offset or spacer affect the truck? Any thoughts and or help will be greatly appreciated.

18"x10.5....in my opinion that is a little wide,putting stress on the ti rods/cv's, etc..i run 17x8.5 with 12.50" tires and a 4.5 "bs and they stay inside the fender wells...and i do have fender flares and they are nowhere near the outside of the flare...i dont fill the well up because of the lift,but i like a little wiggle room for those trails.....dont run spacers...
Old September 10th, 2009, 1:26 PM
CF Beginner

So if I go with 17" x 8.5" on some 285s it would fill the wheel well, but would it stick past the stock body, cause I am looking for it to, thats why I would put the fender flares on it. By the looks of your truck, which is sweet, the flares you have are not as protruding as the bushwacker pocket flares and I want to have the tires fill under them too. And what does 4.5" bs stand for, I thought that was back spacer until I finished your message.
Old September 11th, 2009, 9:28 AM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2009ChevyRegCabLgBox
So if I go with 17" x 8.5" on some 285s it would fill the wheel well, but would it stick past the stock body, cause I am looking for it to, thats why I would put the fender flares on it. By the looks of your truck, which is sweet, the flares you have are not as protruding as the bushwacker pocket flares and I want to have the tires fill under them too. And what does 4.5" bs stand for, I thought that was back spacer until I finished your message.

ahhh now i got it, so you are looking for the wheels to look beefy from the front....so yes run some 10.5" wides ..i wouldn't go past a 10 wide though.and then run some 13.50" tires that will push the wheels/tires out there...my inlaws ran some 16.5x10" rims with 35x13.50 tires and it sticks out plenty...and the 4.5 is the back spacing on my setup...which leveling kit are you looking @....?

red
Old September 11th, 2009, 11:16 AM
CF Beginner

I was thinking about the Rancho Quick Lift, but my dealer warned me that a spacer and new strut might put things out of alignment and suggested a more complete front end kit so I wouldn't void the warranty, haven't found one yet