Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

New Truck (ext cab or Crew Cab?)

Search this Thread

Old June 16th, 2007, 1:10 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Truck (ext cab or Crew Cab?)

I have no kids unless you count my black lab. I have an 07 LT 2 extended cab and it is plenty for me. $3700 is $3700 if you want to spend it then go for it. By the way the new Silverado extended cab rear windows roll down if that is a consideration.[sm=americanasmiley.gif]
Old June 16th, 2007, 7:32 AM
CF Active Member

I think that is up to what you like the looks of best. Both can carry 5 in comfort. I like the looks of the extended better, but that is just my preference. I don't find it annoying to open the rear door to let our Husky in the back. Probably easier then having to open the back door of a crew cab. Also as mentioned before the rear windows roll clear down on the extended cab now.
Old June 17th, 2007, 6:54 PM
CF Senior Member

As everyone has said it is all your opinion and needs. But I will throw my 2 cent in. I have had several regualar cabs and now have a 96 ext cab. I do like the cab don't like the short box. I am going to find if I can an 03 3/4 ton crew cab and full size box. I say that cause I like the bed space with a tool box (you lose a lot) and it is nice to have the room in the cab. If your not going to be in the back a lot an ext isn't bad, but if you have anyone riding in the back or if you put a lot of stuff on the back seat a crew cab is the way to go.
Old June 17th, 2007, 7:38 PM
CF Junior Member

I agree it of course should be what you like. I just purchased a 07 1500 crew and I love it. I have had several x-cabs and I liked them also. I will on occasion have 4 adults to ride in the truck now so that was what helped me to decide on the crew. For me the bed doesn`t matter as I have several trailers if I need more hauling capacity.
Old August 26th, 2007, 4:28 PM
CF Beginner

more room is alway better, but remember if this is your first truck, trucks have longer wheel bases than your typical car, and the longer the wheel base the harder to park and manuver that sucker in a parking lot or tight spot, although a long wheel base will ride smoother and oh yeah be heavyer and possably use more fuel. I have owned both over the years, and now its just me the wife and 10yr old grandson and some of his buddies occationally, I bought a extended cab silverado with the 5'8" bed ( who needs to carry a sheet of plywood? and how often?) the back doors must be opened after the front but will swing all the way open and back windows go all the way down, doesnt cause any damage if you shut the front door before closeing the back either, just a bruised ego! My x cab silverado is plenty big for 4 adults as long as you arnt going on a major road trip! good luck
Old August 28th, 2007, 3:57 PM
CF Beginner

If you plan on hauling a fifth wheel the short bed will decrease your clearance at the rear cab corners on the crew cab model. If you are a outdoors person who will usethe rideas a TRUCK, the just make sure you have enough bed space. If you just need the occasional hauling of mulch/shrubs then the bed makes no difference.
Old September 8th, 2007, 11:18 PM
CF Beginner

I have been pondering this question for weeks now (I'm looking to buy a truck). I like the idea of having some room (extended cab) for power tools, cables, groceries, coats, junk, etc. But trying to put grown people back there is absurd. Seats 5 my foot! Kids maybe. I don't like the idea of havingpeople behind me with no way out in the event of a fire and/or wreck. If I get killed in a wreck the people behind me would have to climb all over my dead body to get out the front doors and I fill up a lot of space. I do service work and I find it hard enough to find enough space in front of a customer's house to park a short-bed 1/2 ton pick up. If I even go to a standard long-bed that would often be too long, but an extended-cab pickup at 20' 5" long is out of the question and a crew cab with 8' bed would be like parking a bus. I need an 8' bed but I don't need the extended cab that badly. Now for a personal "family" truck I would go with a short-bed crew cab 4-doors.

-1bigsteve
Old September 9th, 2007, 11:25 AM
CF Beginner

I recently purchases an Ext LTZ and think its great for me. If you don't use it as a taxi and drive ppl around then its no problem, but if you constantly have more than 2 people in your truck it may get annoying. However you can control the windows in the back from the front(somebody said you can't) The bigger bed size is great for me as my bed is almost always full(with a Tonneau cover) For the part of 5 adults not fitting confortably; is true. 4 fit great but the 5th in the middle may be out of line.
Old September 27th, 2007, 4:24 PM
CF Beginner

I have an Crew Cab. It has lots of room., but has a shorter bed. I don't work out of it so i rarely use the bed. I also have two boys, so it has plenty of room.
Old September 27th, 2007, 7:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

crew with a long bed would be my choice. The truck is already huge, so a little longer to get a full size bed is no big deal IMO.

Quick Reply: New Truck (ext cab or Crew Cab?)