Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Newbie with some questions

Search this Thread

Old December 29th, 2011, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah just the Airaid tube with a drop in filter, and no k&n doesn't sell just the tube
Old January 1st, 2012, 9:08 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure I understand the comment made by Mille Racer 69 that anything that increases power will increase fuel consumption. If you add something like a performance air intake, your engine will get a more efficient combustion by providing a better air/fuel mix. So if you just apply some logic to what you get out of each cylinder fire...if you make each fire more powerful you should be able to get from point a to point be with fewer turns of the crank...which means less gas. Right?

I know that after putting in my air intake I easily saw my mpg go from 14-15 to 19-20 on the same stretch of flat straight road at around 45-50 mph. And this modification for sure gave me more low end power as well.
Old January 1st, 2012, 10:17 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OJK-Ranch
I'm not sure I understand the comment made by Mille Racer 69 that anything that increases power will increase fuel consumption. If you add something like a performance air intake, your engine will get a more efficient combustion by providing a better air/fuel mix. So if you just apply some logic to what you get out of each cylinder fire...if you make each fire more powerful you should be able to get from point a to point be with fewer turns of the crank...which means less gas. Right?

I know that after putting in my air intake I easily saw my mpg go from 14-15 to 19-20 on the same stretch of flat straight road at around 45-50 mph. And this modification for sure gave me more low end power as well.
Did you install the whole intake system or just using the tube? And what system did you go with?
Old January 2nd, 2012, 9:06 AM
CF Beginner

I got the Volant PowerCore Intake with the Air Box from AutoAnything. Super easy install. Only disappointment is that it seems they have switched from the cool looking stainless cover for the air box to just glossy-black plastic.

This was my first time under the hood of anything since my 1978 Cheyenne 4x4 I had in highschool. Great to get a little greasy again. I'm already looking at exhaust systems now.
Old January 31st, 2012, 9:41 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by country_09
Dynomax bullet is really loud, almost like a straight pipe. they're pretty much a resonator but they sound soo good. Magnaflow is a more deeper sound and now as loud IMO. and yes a custom tune, but not from a programmer. the tunes on a programmer are generic ones, a custom tune will be set up for what drivin style you have. Much more detailed. and I say just the tube because the stock boxes flow better and has been proven to get colder air over a actual intake because it goes through the fender away from the heat of the engine.
So on the exhaust i like the sound of these trucks when you just cut the muffler out and replace it with a pipe, but i hear that doing that decreases your torque and backpressure and i do not want to do anything that is going to decrease performance in anyway. I was thinking of going with a flowmaster 44 but i want it to also be loud and sound mean!! I dont want it to drone you out in the cab though either. Would the Dynomax bullet be louder then the Flowmaster 44? and also would it decrease performance any? Would the engine have enough backpressure and not change the torque any? Due to the fact its like a straight pipe is why i ask. Like I said I want loud, mean sounding, still hear yourself think in the cab and dont want it to decrease performance any.

Last edited by chevy619; January 31st, 2012 at 10:23 PM.
Old February 1st, 2012, 6:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A bullet won't decrease any torque or horsepower, should feel a gain if anything. And the back pressure myth is out of date, what you want is velocity to push the exhaust gases out as quick as possible, back pressure could possibly push gases back into the motor if you have to much. The stock cats provide enough back pressure for the vehicle. The bullet is a racin muffler built for performance
Old February 1st, 2012, 8:58 PM
CF Active Member

So as far as sound goes. How do the flowmaster super 44 vs the dynomax bullet sound? Basically the same sound just one louder or are they going to produce different sounds? Is the bullet going to have a deep tone since its basically a glass pack isnt it?
Old February 1st, 2012, 9:36 PM
CF Beginner

youtube my friend, youtube
Old February 1st, 2012, 10:56 PM
CF Active Member

I have youtubed some clips but sometimes videos dont do justice.. Just trying to get opinions from people who have used or heard them in person is all.
Old February 1st, 2012, 11:42 PM
CF Beginner

yeah i hear ya man... its tough trying to figure out what ya want... what i might think is loud and obnoxious might be just right to someone else... as for me... ive got a regular ol magnaflow on my old 95 dodge that i think is just about perfect.. not to loud not to quiet, just enough to let ya know when ya step on it that there is something still there. strait pipes are fun to!

Quick Reply: Newbie with some questions