Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

No brake lights

Search this Thread

Old November 11th, 2006, 2:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No brake lights

I was told on the way home from work yesterday that I don't have brake lights. Since I just bought this Silverado about a month ago, I'm not sure if I have had them at all lately.

I have a truck that is registered as a 99 but everything on it says 98. It is a C1500 Silverado with a 5.7. 4.8 and 5.3 are the V8's listed for 99! So my owners manual is useless for me.

I have noticed a 30 amp fuse that is blown in the engine compartment fuse panel. It is the 1st fuse (a large fuse that is about 1" wide) in the panel. I don't have a good list now as to what this runs. I'll go to the parts store to replace it and hope this will get my brake lights back on.

Is there anything else to look for? All the brake lights aren't working, even the center high brake light. I checked the left rear light housing and the lights in there looked ok.

Where is the brake switch that is on the brake petal? All I can see from underneath is a large metal plate!

Saving all this, the truck has a trailer plug on back. I wonder if there is something in the wiring back there that is causing this? Would this even keep the center light off?

Glenn in TN
Old November 11th, 2006, 4:23 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: No brake lights

Your coment about the engine is vauge & confusing. Do you want to know what size engine you have? There is an emisions label on the radiator support that will tell you which engine you have. As for the brake lights, there is a fuse in the side dash fusebox for that. The trailer light hookups are always prone to damage & can cause a fuse to blow.
Old November 11th, 2006, 4:53 PM
CF Beginner

I understand your confusion! I do have a 1999 Silverado with a 5.7 V8. When I check for parts on any of the big parts stores, they don't list a 5.7 in a 99 Silverado - only the 4.8 & 5.3.

When you look at my truck, it looks like the 98 and earlier. The 99 and later are different, especially from the front. It is registered and insured as a 99. I wonder if Chevy introduced the 99 model late in the model year! Looking 99 up on eBay gives both designs!!

The owners manual I got with mine was no help with the fuse problem. I had a 30 amp maxi fuse blown in the engine compartment box, but my manual details a different layout of the panel. I replaced it and my brake lights work again! My manual shows this and 2 boxes in the passenger compartment, but I only have the one beside the drivers door.

I have a feeling I'm going to always have problems buying parts for this truck. I thought Chevy was much more consistent in these manors than Ford!
Old November 11th, 2006, 6:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Perhaps you got a 99 that was a 98 classic. Like they are doing with new ones. Looks and is built like a 98 but built in and for 99.
Old November 12th, 2006, 1:00 AM
CF Junior Member

I think what you're dealing with is chevy introduced the 2000 models very early or a "mid year intro". I used to have a 88 1 ton dualy which was the first year for that new body but if you had a crew cab 1 ton it was still the old body--- same with subs & blazers. My point is it was very hard to get the right parts because of the two body style in the same year.
Old November 12th, 2006, 2:46 AM
CF Active Member

in refrence 2 your '88 buster, there was also 2 different chassis for the trucks (a 'R' & a 'K' chassis i believe), which makes getting the right parts loads of fun. the 2 chassis issue went right up to '91 for the K5's & 'burb's.
Old November 12th, 2006, 2:16 PM
CF Junior Member

Yup 70mopar, it was a bitch getting parts store peopel to understand that, & I didn't dare ask for anything for the hydroboost, that always drew a blank expresion. that was a crappy truck anyway, its in a junkyard now.