Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

nudge on takoff

Search this Thread

Old October 31st, 2010, 11:59 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nudge on takoff

Here's a short story for a simple question...........

I have an '01 Silverado, 327, 4L60E, 3.42 gears, K&N, Spintech Exhaust, Superchip. Other than that, it's stock.
I bought the truck in Dec. '05 with 44,000 miles. In June '06, with about 55,000 on it, I took it on a 400 mile trip. It was 95 degrees out and my average speed was about 90 mph. After about 150 miles, I exited off the highway and I had no more transmission. I could only creep 5 mph into the gas station.
I had the trans rebuilt, new converter, etc. 2 months later, I noticed this nudge eveytime I let off the brake to take off. (and I don't mean racing, just a normal take off). The harder I brake to a stop, the harder the nudge. Alot of times, I just release the brake a little and get the nudge out of the way before the light turns green.
Anyway, the transmission shop said it's a solenoid. And that's where I left it and lived with the issue since then. I now have 117,000 miles and never had a lick of problem.
When I get underneath, the driveshaft has about 1/16" slack when I try and turn it. No other slack anywhere else....wheels, u-joints, diff. etc.

Anybody have (had) this same issue?

Thanks for your input.
Old November 1st, 2010, 8:33 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Low transmission fluid can cause the transmission to have these characteristics if I understand you correctly. My BMW which has a GM transmission, did this when it was low on fluid. Only happened when braking or going around certain turns quickly. Make sure the transmission is warm and in park and engine is running and vehicle is on level ground when you check the fluid level.