Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Odd electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old June 21st, 2006, 11:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd electrical problem

My '95 1500 has developed a strange problem. The other day on my way to work the truck started to hesitate, then my instrument cluster lights started to cycle off and on randomly. I pulled over at a gas station worried that the truck was going to die on me and shut the engine off. I waited a couple minutes and started the truck back up, the clock was displaying the wrong time but the truck was now running fine.

I've been through this scenario about a dozen times now ib the past month - any ideas?
Old June 22nd, 2006, 11:05 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Odd electrical problem

The giveaway is that the radio lost the time. It sounds to me like the power supply is being interrupted. You should check your main power supply bus, where all the fusible links are connected to battery positive. Be sure all the connections are tight, also pull on the fusible links to see if one of them has an internal break. Do this while it's running to see if it acts up when you wiggle the wires. Also check all your ground connections at the battery, the body, and on the engine block.
Old June 23rd, 2006, 11:27 AM
CF Junior Member

Ckeck the power wire that runs from the battery to the ditibution box mounted on the firewall. It runs through a metal braket down next to the starter, the wire can break here giving the same problem as you describe. I had 2 trucks have the same problem( an 88 and a 95).
Old July 31st, 2006, 10:04 PM
CF Beginner

My answer is a little late and might be worthless, but it is free. My wife's Montana was having weird electrical problems. lots of stuff not working at different times. Once it wouldn't start after turning it off at the store. By the time I got there it started fine. Then she was stranded about a month later. I checked the connections, and just to be sure, I checked the battery water level. It was below the top of the plates. I topped it off, and no more problems.