Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Old Red is having brake trouble.

Search this Thread

Old December 16th, 2022, 4:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old Red is having brake trouble.

I have a 01 Silverado that my wife gave before she passed. I absolutely love this truck is got over 150K and I’ve only replaced a power steering pump, Great truck.
I saw the brake light on dash coming on and put a reader on that said problem with the control box. I did some reading on here and online and I went for the easiest fix and that was a ground wire under cab. I cleaned it up and the light is off when 1st get going but after while comes back on. My question is how can I be absolutely certain that the module is or good? I’m 70ish and and disabled and unfortunately a $300-$500 part will hit hard. I’ve drove it for 3-4 months with no issues but the light. I’m about ready to give it to my Grandson and I got to fix this first.
This site was very helpful when replacing the O-2 sensors and I hope one of you experienced guys can shoot me a little advice, I’m truly thankful for any information, Thanks
Old December 17th, 2022, 7:06 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Blockaidrunner
I have a 01 Silverado that my wife gave before she passed. I absolutely love this truck is got over 150K and I’ve only replaced a power steering pump, Great truck.
I saw the brake light on dash coming on and put a reader on that said problem with the control box. I did some reading on here and online and I went for the easiest fix and that was a ground wire under cab. I cleaned it up and the light is off when 1st get going but after while comes back on. My question is how can I be absolutely certain that the module is or good? I’m 70ish and and disabled and unfortunately a $300-$500 part will hit hard. I’ve drove it for 3-4 months with no issues but the light. I’m about ready to give it to my Grandson and I got to fix this first.
This site was very helpful when replacing the O-2 sensors and I hope one of you experienced guys can shoot me a little advice, I’m truly thankful for any information, Thanks
Blockaidrunner;

I am very sorry about the loss of your wife.

I would run an OBD II scan tool on your 2001 Chevrolet, and see if there are any codes. They can do that at a parts store for free. I'd make sure that your battery is in good condition, as they tend to lose power in the winter months. Keep us informed so we can help you out.

-Oilcanhenry