Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

painting the rims on the truck

Search this Thread

Old March 28th, 2009, 8:01 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

This reminds me, I need a spare thats the same diameter as my current tires on the Silv. Don't want to risk driveline failure by mismatching.
Old March 28th, 2009, 10:12 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah. my buddy is doing a full resto on his 79 bronco and were re-doing his 460 bbf. can you believe in my town your not allowed to have an immobile vehicle?! he got ticketed by the village for having his bronco sitting. i mean right now its in pieces but being worked on. and the nasty thing of it is theres a cop up the street with a grudge on us since the late 80's and he does everything to get us in trouble when we dont do anything. its funny how his neighbor has 2 cars that are dead and they dont get anything and there place is like a hell hole. they grow corn stalks in the middle of a yard. but... thats where my sand blaster came from and yeah i know i can get some pitting but eh... i work fast enough hehe. and yeah i chose all black. speaking of which. i need to paint my spare too... or get another rim and use that so it isnt stamped steel being rusted under my truck. and i bet you my tire is old as hell too... damn... i already figured i got a grand in cowl, paint, filler, and other goodies coming... poop. o well add it to my to_do list. hehe. but yeah man those rims are nice looking.
Old March 28th, 2009, 10:19 PM
CF Monarch

Pics!!
Old April 3rd, 2009, 3:04 AM
CF Senior Member

alrighty. got me some progress on the old rims deal. and evans... yeah ill get some pics of the resto as well... hope these pics work...

after blasting
http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/u...9/DSC00598.jpg

aftercurb rash is grinded out and smoothed
http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/u...9/DSC00600.jpg

in the paint booth doin a little bakin'. 152 degrees is kinda warm...
http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/u...9/DSC00601.jpg

after some sanding and then letting it cook more
http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/u...9/DSC00602.jpg

on the last pic i know the edge looks not so clean but thats cuz of teh light hitting the primer... for some reason this primer takes 3-4 hours to dry... hope you like my progress. as for materials...
2 bags of black blasting sand, auto prep, 400 grit paper, scotch brite, 1000 grit paper, self etching primer(2 cans) satin black color(2 cans) clear(2 cans)(rustoleum) and of course rims.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 7:43 AM
CF Monarch

Why did you have to bake the primer?
Just curious. But most self-etching primers don't need curing out. I primed my rims with it and had them fully painted and clearcoated within a 4-5 hour period.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 12:08 PM
CF Senior Member

well i didnt mean bake... i was bored and impatient so i cranked the spray booth temp up. figured id shave off an hour or two letting them sit in a room at 153 for 20 minutes. i figured id put 3 coats of primer on. three light coats and then sand and color and color sand and clear and wet sand.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 5:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is your truck the same color green as mine?(pic below) if it is i was going to put black rims on mine id like to see a pic
Old April 3rd, 2009, 9:18 PM
CF Monarch

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by cams 98 silverado
well i didnt mean bake... i was bored and impatient so i cranked the spray booth temp up. figured id shave off an hour or two letting them sit in a room at 153 for 20 minutes. i figured id put 3 coats of primer on. three light coats and then sand and color and color sand and clear and wet sand.
Ahh ok.
I used a bonding coat and a covering coat. Then I used 3 coats of ceramic paint and used a wheel coating for clear coat.

I can't beleive its already been a year since I did it.
Old April 4th, 2009, 8:02 PM
CF Senior Member

i cant really tell the color of your truck. mines the dark metallic green. and where did you get that cowl hood? im doing that this summer and im still looking around for some good steel hoods. and evans, i was going to use some ceramic paint but on the can i read that for it to really cure it needs to be baked on. and so thats why i didnt use it and went with wheel paint. but now we both see it would have worked. did you sand between primer and color then sand between color and clear?
Old April 4th, 2009, 8:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

igot my hood from the 4x4 jamboree in lima ohio its carbon fiber. i really want some pics of your truck w/ the black rims. i want to see how well they go together. If they go good together im gonna get some 17 inch moto metal black rims

Quick Reply: painting the rims on the truck