Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

painting the rims on the truck

Search this Thread

Old April 4th, 2009, 11:48 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Some ceramic paints do have to be baked. I actually used caliper paint because its made to be resistant to brake dust.
Depends on the clear coat you are using. If I'm not mistaken, the wheel coating I used just needed a clean surface to bond to.
Old April 5th, 2009, 5:46 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well when i get my rims finished (its raining right now) ill put em next to the truck so you can get a comparison of what it would look like. im still choosing what rubber to slap on the things too. those are my summer tires and the current ones are winter...
Old April 5th, 2009, 7:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks man i appreciate it!!
Old July 21st, 2009, 11:18 AM
CF Senior Member

hey bud... i know its been a while but i took the pics for you as soon as i got back from the tire shop. i tried having fun with the panoramic shooting tool on my sony ericcson fone... but it was my first time. and mind you it started raining...

attempt with panoramic shot with black rims
http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/u...9/DSC00693.jpg

straight shot at the tires and truck.
http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/u...9/DSC00694.jpg

attempt 2 at panoramic...
http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/u...9/DSC00695.jpg

after clear and ready to be used
http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/u...9/DSC00685.jpg

there ya go thats what it will look like. when i get them all installed ill get more pics up.
Old July 21st, 2009, 1:12 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks like a great paintjob. If you are not going to paint the centercaps, chrome lugs would look good.
Old July 21st, 2009, 1:37 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Brent, needs some contrast, lugs would be a min. might want to consider painting the "inner" 5 spokes (the smaller ones) either the color of the truck (a little to blingy for me) but maybe re-chrome the inner part with chrome lugs.
Old July 21st, 2009, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think they look good the way they are!!!
Old July 22nd, 2009, 12:14 PM
CF Senior Member

in the original drawing i was going to paint the smaller spokes matched green but then i figured it would be a little to much for me and it wont look so good. so. then it was going to be straight black. then i see so many do it your self painters that just spray it on. so i knew i had to be a little different. so the brushed aluminum lip was the best way to do it. and my only regret is that i did the lip after i painted. you dont know how hard it was to keep a straight line all the way around the rim and keep the tape on while spraying and sanding. when i upgrade my brakes ill paint the calipers. i need bigger brakes because im going to be making big power in the next three years and as for those center caps, i should probably do something about them eh. i dont know yet if im painting them or not. i think i will because my bearing caps are nasty rust colored and would look aweful sticking out the middle. which reminds me i need to blast clear on the last rim and paint the caps. but yea i cant wait to put the tires on and finally be done with that. then its time to get winter tires. sheesh.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 12:44 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did notice the brushed lip (looks great) at this point I can see your point, but how cool would brushed alum the inner spokes look?

Definetly paint the calipers, one of the mods I like and notice every day I drive mine.

Either way, post picts when complete for sure.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 2:33 AM
CF Senior Member

yea brushed aluminum inside the big spokes would be fun. but for some reason i dont know what kind of material that is. i assume its aluminum but when it was blasted it was still retaining its color. but yea when i get the brakes setup goin ill paint them. mind you these pics with finish build will be a while. i need to scrounge money for the sts rear turbo and the 383 stroker motor and bla bla stage 6 trans, rear end. yeah. but brakes will be part of the build so ill get pics.

Quick Reply: painting the rims on the truck