Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

persistent brake lights problem

Search this Thread

Old July 18th, 2009, 10:10 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question persistent brake lights problem

Howdy everyone,

Here's the problem: my brake lights and rear turn signals do not work. My tail lights and reverse lights work and the turn signals in the front work. I figured it would be the turn signal switch as about two months ago my emergency flashers also quit working and they are all run off of the mutlifunction. I replaced the switch but the same problem persists with the brake lights not working. I am sure I installed it correctly as the cruise control, wipers, and emergency flashers all work correctly. Any thoughts of where to look next?

The truck is a 2000 Chevy 3500 old body style.
Old July 18th, 2009, 8:46 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does the third brake light work? The third does NOT run through the turn signal switch, so if it works most likely the turn signal switch is good. You can look at the brake light switch however that would not effect the turn signals. One problem I see very often in check trucks is the sockets go bad and can not carry the ground to the bulb. Visually they will look ok. You can try to add a temporary ground in the socket at the bulb (not on the wire, but where the bulb touches the socket) for testing if they work then you need new sockets. If I remember correctly it is a assembly that bolts into the tail light and is available cheap in the "HELP" section at Autozone or Advance Auto Parts.
Old July 19th, 2009, 10:08 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The third brake light DOES work. I will check the grounds and see where that takes me. Thank you for your input.