Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old August 10th, 2015, 3:14 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Power Steering (please help...loosing my mind)

Search this Thread

Old April 1st, 2010, 9:31 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering (please help...loosing my mind)

Ok I just put a new power steering pump in the truck. This is the third one. Second one I put in. First two had a whine to em. Nothing to bad but still I didnt like it. It was also hard to turn the wheels sitting still. Like there was no help from the power steering. Well just put the new one in less then a hour ago. Started it up had a whine to it like the last two and did the same thing when trying to turn sitting still. I went to a parking lot around the corner and stopped. I tried turning the wheel and was though gave it some gas and it got easier. Gave it more gas and the damn thing made a bunch of noise. stopped working period. then started chirping really loud. I cut the engine to see if the belt broke. it wasnt. turned it back on check the pully to see if it was still turning and make sure it didnt cease up. was good but now i have no power steering no matter what rpm. Any help would be highly apreciated. I dunno if I am just getting bad pumps or its something else.
Old April 1st, 2010, 9:52 PM
CF Beginner

Its been a few years since I put one in. The only thing I can throw out there is maybe a line is clogged.
Old April 1st, 2010, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

May have air in it. Sometimes you need to pull a vacuum on it to get the air out. On a side note it is normal sometimes for a new pump to whine for the first 500 miles. A while back they used to come with a sticker on them stating that.
Old April 1st, 2010, 10:17 PM
CF Active Member

yeah I know the whine is normal at first but the resistance i dont think is. Now its not working at all. I bleed the air out. Not with a vaccuum though. I never heard of that. One thing that bothers me there is alot more resistance turning to the left then right. I am starting to wornder if the gear box is bad too.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 12:51 PM
CF Beginner

Default Power Steering Issues also

My Power Steering has always been a little stiff at idle. Now I also have same issues.

Started yesterday, it is hard(very difficult) to steer only to the left at idle/stand still/slow speeds.
The pump now whines when steering left only at any speed. To the right is fine. The whine is similar to the sound when you steer all the way to the stops and try to keep steering.
Does anybody have a fix for this?
I just checked fluid and it is fine, the pump was not excessively hot, and I greased all ball joints and rod ends, and movement of the steering system is not bound up when on jacks.

I do not want to replace the pump only to have this happen again...

Please help.

Thanks,
Travis

2005 Chevy Z71 Crew Cab, 73,000 miles.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 6:03 PM
CF Beginner

Put a stethoscope on it and found it is the gear box that is making the whining noise while trying to steer left.

I am planning to take off the gear box and try to clean it up... they are very expensive!
Please let me know if I am wasting my time.

Thanks,
Travis
Old April 3rd, 2010, 2:24 AM
CF Active Member

Update..... Today went to the GM dealership today. Paid $46 for them to tell me some thing I already knew. Power steering pump was bad. Then Paid about $215 for a brand new GM original pump. On the way back stopped at auto zone. B***h'd em out for selling me 2 crappy pumps. Threatened to call the district manager. Got a free gift card and free power steering fluid to put in the new pump I bought from the dealership and bought a new belt. Went and replaced the pump. Noticed the new fluid went from clear to brown as soon as I turn the tires. drained the reservoir and refilled it. It did the same thing. Ran out of fluid and bummed a quart of my friend. Still turned brown 2 more times. Was getting a little bit lighter every time. Ended up driving to walmart and got 4 quarts of power steering fluid. Did it till it stayed normal color. Even with this new pump it still wont turn at idle. Dont give a crap though at least it work when it is barely rolling. I am burnt out of replacing them. I am pretty sure it is the gear box. Your right travis about them being expensive. $670 remanafactured at the GM dealership. I found them quite a bit cheaper on ebay but dont know if I want to order one from them. Im just going to drive it like it is till I have no power steering.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 2:43 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the update UH60sSuck.

I am trying to bust loose my pitman arm from the relay rod and it is giving a hard time.

I ordered a re-manufactured gear from AutoZone this morning. It should be in this afternoon. $466.55 -$135 core.

As soon as I get this thing back together, I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old April 4th, 2010, 3:46 AM
CF Active Member

Ok cool I would appreciate it
Old April 5th, 2010, 1:43 PM
CF Beginner

The new gear box fixed the problem. So far so good. Steering is better than ever I remember it being.

I'll let you know if it fouls up again.

I got a belt squeak noise now that I need to look into.

Thanks,
Travis

Quick Reply: Power Steering (please help...loosing my mind)