Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

POWER STEERING PROBLEMS '87 Silverado

Search this Thread

Old October 15th, 2010, 8:42 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default POWER STEERING PROBLEMS '87 Silverado

Recently purchased 1987 Silverado as a work truck. Everything runs great with the exception of power steering. Previous owner said has a leak but works if fluid level is kept up. Replaced pump/resevoir/lines and ran great for a day before the bearings went out on pump. Replaced pump again with less tension on the belts and ran great for a week before the pressure line burst where the hose meets the metal.

Am I missing something or is it possible I just bought a bad pump followed by a bad line??? I'm hoping all I have to do is replace the line and be done with it but I'm afraid there is a problem I'm just not seeing.
Old October 15th, 2010, 12:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, forgot to mention, I flushed the system but was unsure of the best way to bleed the system. Can it be done like brake lines or do I absolutely have to have one of those vacuum bleeders? It wasn't making any unusual noises after I replaced the pump so I assume there wasn't much air, if any, in the system after I flushed it.