Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rear main housing seal. Need Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old April 28th, 2011, 9:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear main housing seal. Need Help!!!

Has anyone ever changed the Rear Main Housing seal/gasket. It is on a 2000 Chevy 1500 Silverado, auto transmission, 2wd, 5.3L engine.
I have a Haynes Manual and it doesn't give to much info on it. In the overhaul section under crankshaft removal is says when you remove the housing that you have to check for crankshaft end play. I'm thinking that I shouldn't have to do this since I'm not removing the cranckshaft. Am I correct in my thinking. Shouldn't I just be able to to remove the housing put a new gasket and make sure that I have the correct tolerances for the housing to oil pan sealing surfaces. Also is this possible to do while the engine is still on the truck. Thx for the replies.
Old April 28th, 2011, 9:40 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hfdff
Has anyone ever changed the Rear Main Housing seal/gasket. It is on a 2000 Chevy 1500 Silverado, auto transmission, 2wd, 5.3L engine.
I have a Haynes Manual and it doesn't give to much info on it. In the overhaul section under crankshaft removal is says when you remove the housing that you have to check for crankshaft end play. I'm thinking that I shouldn't have to do this since I'm not removing the cranckshaft. Am I correct in my thinking. Shouldn't I just be able to to remove the housing put a new gasket and make sure that I have the correct tolerances for the housing to oil pan sealing surfaces. Also is this possible to do while the engine is still on the truck. Thx for the replies.

For the most part, you are correct with the assumption with the rear seal. your question with leaving the engine in the truck while this work is being done you are correct here also. However, pulling the engine makes it easier to complete this task. Either way you do it, make really sure you replace the front seal on your transmission and the oil pan gasket while you have the trans out just makes sense. Good luck.

Hope it helps.
Old April 28th, 2011, 10:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BagnDrag thx for the quick response. I had just pulled my transmission for my first rebuild when I decided to try and pinpoint my oil leak while I was waiting for my rebuild kit. I knew the leak was coming from the back of the engine by the tranny just didn't know where. I'll be replacing oil pan gasket, rear main seal and rear main housing gasket this weekend. thx again. If any one has any other suggestions or comments please post. thx.
Old August 20th, 2011, 10:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a leak on my 2002 venture I believe is coming from the rear oil filter housing. Has anyone have this job done. I would like to know how to replace it.

Last edited by Faith; August 20th, 2011 at 11:14 PM. Reason: year