Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Remote start option: Need more range!

Search this Thread

Old February 23rd, 2008, 12:19 AM
likinit2

Default Remote start option: Need more range!

I have a new 08 chevy with remote start from the factory. Anyway of increasing the range on this. It is pretty much useless to me. My other truck I traded in had a aftermarket remote starter and it worked great and had at least 10x the range as Icould start my truck before I leave work, now with my new truck I have to wait until I'm 30ft away. Only flaw I could come up with, My new truck Rocks!
Old February 23rd, 2008, 1:42 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Remote start option: Need more range!

Look back several pages, I think this has been discussed before, sounds like a familiar topic.
Old February 23rd, 2008, 7:04 AM
CF Junior Member

i havent heard this or experienced this before. I have an 07 with the factory remote starter and i park at the back of the parking lot where i work, i can start it from the 4th floor at my desk, i have no problems with the range on it. May want to ask the dealer why that is happening?
Old February 25th, 2008, 3:37 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

yea the rangesucks on the factory starts....they use the keyles entry module as the reciever for the remote start which just uses a piece of wire for the antenna.

go to a local radio shop or possibly your dealer to see about getting an aftermarket module and antenna that will activate the factory remote start. you can get a one way or two way version.
Old April 12th, 2008, 5:04 PM
CF Junior Member

Press the remote to your neck while you are pushing the desired button. Your body acts like an antenna to increase your range. It works for the keyless remotes!
Old April 13th, 2008, 1:18 PM
Ride of the Month
June 2008

im with you Jeckel707i have started my NBS factor remote start from 6th floor of hosptal about145 yards out from building

must be some interferince with yours some how
Old April 13th, 2008, 10:23 PM
CF Beginner

I have had mixed performance with my remote start. If I am on the second floor patio at my work I can start my truck from about 200 yards fairly consistently, but if I am on the same ground level as my truck have been within 10 feet of my truck before it has started. Ironically, my keyfob has started working better since it ran one cycle through the washing machine, but your mileage may vary. I wouldn't recommend doing that. It would be interesting to add a higher gain antenna on the receiver, I will check into doing that and let you guys know. Does anybody know what frequency they use in the remote start module?
Old April 13th, 2008, 11:03 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The aftermarket modules add a new antenna and remote. Which is where you pick up the longer range.

check out one of many modules here: http://www.autotruckpro.com/store/pr...903de2e0a08667

They have both 2 way and 1 way versions. They are fairly easy to hook up....3 wires and the antenna
Old April 14th, 2008, 8:12 AM
CF Junior Member

I would bring it to the dealer and ask them about it. I just had mine installed in my '07 two weeks ago, and I can start the truck from 150' to 200' away and even with the remote in my pocket.
Old April 14th, 2008, 5:14 PM
Ride of the Month
June 2008

i got ot say i walked down the street a ways and got 2 feet out of range of my truck to get the remote to work and the
whole putting the remote to the neck thing WOW i guess my body dont have any extra ant. in it i lost almost 30 feet when doing it that way.
so good luck on that one.

I GOT BORED LOL

Quick Reply: Remote start option: Need more range!