Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

rusty rear bumper

Search this Thread

Old March 5th, 2011, 4:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rusty rear bumper

I have a 2010 silverado got it in May 2010 has 9000 miles or so. This first winter with it and the rear bumper keeps rusting above the tail pipe. I contacted the dealership they tell me to just clean it and put wax on it. They say all the trucks have the same porblem. I contacted chevy they say it is due to the enviroment. I cannt believe this is the problem anybody else having the same problem and if so what can i do. I traded my 97 Ford 250 in on this truck and never had any rust on the bumpers.
Thanks
Old March 5th, 2011, 7:20 PM
CF Junior Member

Don,t let them jack you around ... it is covered under warranty ,
Tell them your leaving it you want new bumpers.
http://www.truckforums.com go here scroll down to chevy/ silverado.
Leave your post there might take a few days but a gm customer service rep
Will tell you what to do. There is a thread on rusty bumper there.
Old March 18th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

skiffer, I would like to direct message you about the issues that you are having. Thank you for your time.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old March 20th, 2011, 4:52 PM
CF Beginner

Hi they have my truck now and are replacing the bumper. My email is rickgoose40@yahoo.com.
Old June 1st, 2011, 2:56 PM
CF Beginner

I have same problem.
rusty bumper and poor customer service.
when are they going to recall these?

help!!
Old June 1st, 2011, 2:58 PM
CF Beginner

Hi Jeff Morris,

could you help me with getting this rusty bumper issue resolved.

thx
Darin
Old June 1st, 2011, 6:13 PM
Rez
CF Junior Member

97 F250 is possibly one of the toughest trucks ever built - sorry to hear you're having issues with the chevy.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 10:15 AM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by UPSET Chevy
Hi Jeff Morris,

could you help me with getting this rusty bumper issue resolved.

thx
Darin

Upset chevy,

I would be happy to look into this for you. Could you please let me know exactly what is going on with your bumper?

Thank you!

Elizabeth, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old June 2nd, 2011, 1:31 PM
CF Beginner

Hi Elizabeth,

Bought truck new spring 2010, first noticed rust on both sides of the bumper in the fall, worse on the side with exhaust. Buffed it out and waxed the bumper. Did this three times between november and april. Took to the dealership this spring and was told to continue with what I was doing and there was nothing they could do for me.
Very poor customer service!! I remember a few years ago at different dealership my Dad took his olds Aurora in because of rust on the rims and they were replaced no questions, and his car was a couple years old.
My truck was less then a year old and had no scratches or nicks of any kind and you start to see rust already. Right know the bumper looks good once again as it doesn't seem to come back as quickly in the summer months and I buffed the rust out again about 9 days ago. I do live in Canada and am expecting the rust to come back with a vengeance come september or october. This is the 9th truck/car I've owned and I've never had a problem like this before. Also, many years ago, I use to wash cars for a dealership and have never seen a problem like this before on newer vehicles.

Please help resolve this issue and maybe but a recall out for all the other people out there having the same problem. For a lot of us buying a new truck is a lot money and we want it to last a few years before it starts looking like it should go to the junk yard.

Thank you
Darin
Old June 2nd, 2011, 3:28 PM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by UPSET Chevy
Hi Elizabeth,

Bought truck new spring 2010, first noticed rust on both sides of the bumper in the fall, worse on the side with exhaust. Buffed it out and waxed the bumper. Did this three times between november and april. Took to the dealership this spring and was told to continue with what I was doing and there was nothing they could do for me.
Very poor customer service!! I remember a few years ago at different dealership my Dad took his olds Aurora in because of rust on the rims and they were replaced no questions, and his car was a couple years old.
My truck was less then a year old and had no scratches or nicks of any kind and you start to see rust already. Right know the bumper looks good once again as it doesn't seem to come back as quickly in the summer months and I buffed the rust out again about 9 days ago. I do live in Canada and am expecting the rust to come back with a vengeance come september or october. This is the 9th truck/car I've owned and I've never had a problem like this before. Also, many years ago, I use to wash cars for a dealership and have never seen a problem like this before on newer vehicles.

Please help resolve this issue and maybe but a recall out for all the other people out there having the same problem. For a lot of us buying a new truck is a lot money and we want it to last a few years before it starts looking like it should go to the junk yard.

Thank you
Darin

Upset Chevy,

I completely understand your frustrations. Unfortunately, since you live in Canada, I am unable to set up a case for you. However, I will provide you with the phone number to Canada Customer Care Centre and they will be able to set up a case for you. They will look into this and see if there is anything they can do for you. Here is the phone number to Canada Customer Care Centre 1-800-263-3777. Customer Care Centre hours of operation are: Monday to Friday: 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. (E.S.T.), Saturday: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (E.S.T). They are closed on Sundays.

Thank you!

Elizabeth, Chevrolet Customer Service

Quick Reply: rusty rear bumper