Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Spare Tire Carrier

Search this Thread

Old June 27th, 2010, 10:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spare Tire Carrier

I can crank down the cable on the spare tire carrier, but the tire will not come down. Anybody seen this? Can't figure out what is holding it up there since the cable will continue to unwind.

Thanks

Tony
Old June 27th, 2010, 11:06 PM
CF Beginner

I had the same problem on my 03 silverado. The spare tire carrier has a hook that disengages when the weight of the tire is applied as the tire is lowered. The problem i had was that the tire had not been lowered on so lnog that the assembly that holds the tire on got "guncked up" with road grime and dirt. I had to shoot half a can of wd 40 to get it to finally loosen. its a pain in the *** tho. I had the bed off at the time cause i was replacing the fuel pump. so it was a little easier. I am just going to cut the hook off cause it doesnt really affect the way the tire is held on. hope this helps.
Old June 28th, 2010, 8:52 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the tip. I sprayed it down this morning with WD-40 this morning so it could soak all day. After work I backed it into the shop and crawled under it. I worked the catch up and down a few times and it finally let loose.

Anyone that reads this should let their spare down about once per year and spray the hoist, cable. and catch down with a good penetrating oil.

A Big Thanks Again.

Tony
Old January 6th, 2011, 7:29 PM
CF Beginner

how do i get my spare down when it doesnt wanna go down am i doing it wrong or something