Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 29th, 2015, 3:34 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:
Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Spray-in-bedliner

Search this Thread

Old September 4th, 2008, 9:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Spray-in-bedliner

I reccomend with a slide in liner that after a rain you pull it out and let it dry out in your bed and after hauling anything dirty in it or around alot of dirty or anything like that that you also remove it spray out the bed and let it dry and keep the beds drain plugs removed while its in.
Old September 5th, 2008, 10:56 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, taking out the cheap liner every time it rains and has dirt? Does that include every time you wash the truck? I just don't have the time or energy to do that! Sure, the spray-ins are more expensive, but they're so much nicer. And, I've never had a problem selling a truck with a spray-in. In fact, it ups the value and everyone whobought the truck considered it a great deal.
Old September 5th, 2008, 1:02 PM
CF Senior Member

wow. i gotta say that really is more work than you need. i have the stock GM plastic insert liner and ive looked under it before and it was great. the tailgate was perfect. the bed was dirty but other than that it was what i didnt expect. i dont know. i hadn't asked the previous owner was he used to haul or if anything but i think i was mostly wood because he was a carpenter. it was not used much though. i mean 68000 miles for a 1998. well that was 3 years ago. its got 91000 now.
Old September 6th, 2008, 8:34 PM
CF Beginner

hello all, as some I have had both spray -in and drop in. Both work fine, no rust with the drop in. just my2cents.
Old September 7th, 2008, 1:37 AM
Ride of the Month
June 2008

Line-X is what i have been going with for years.

and as far as drop in liners well straight JUNK
ill run no liner before i run another one of them.
just from the vib. of the road it rubs your paint under it
and then rusts
my dads got a 2005 silverado and it had a drop in when he got it
and now he has 31K on it and we took out the liner other day and well
id say from 1 to 10 scale on how much bare metal was there as 10 being stripped fully
id say about 7 only paint really left is in the ribs where the liner is not tuouching at all
and all kinda dirt was laying in there.
and he has NEVER hauled anyting in there
so i took his truck over to line-x and had them do his bed
hell they only chaged me 300 to to it even over the rails
since they didnt really have to do much work due to all bare metal already.

and yes they only scratch your paint not strip it when they spray in the liners
its just like painting.
never again will i ever see a drop in.
Old September 10th, 2008, 1:14 PM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: fromdodge2chevy

stchman, you say they have to take the paint and galvanizing off the bed to spray in a liner? bull, they simply scuff up the paint. and not the entire paint. i have had 4 trucks with spray in bed liners and they were all done this way. no problems with any of them. a slide in liner, now that will f up a bed big time. rocks, dirt, sand, water and anything else can and will get under a slide in liner. over time that messes up a bed big time. but they are way cheaper. ya get what ya pay for.
Bull, I have had MANY a truck with a slide in bedliner. As long as you get a high quality bedliner from a reputable manufacturer with excellent fit no problems. My last truck with a slide in bedliner I removed it after 5 years to clean it. Guess what? The paint under the liner was still in excellent condition and I hauled lots of stuff. My Explorer Sport Trac had an all composite bed and it was AWESOME. I wish all manufacturers did this.

My thing is with a spray in is if you don't like it, you are stuck with it. A slide in can be removed and replaced very easily.

Here is a look at what they do when they "prep" your bed for spray in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VQPI...eature=related
Old September 10th, 2008, 1:56 PM
CF Active Member

drove 2 company trucks that had factory bedliners in them from day one. they suck. drop ins suck no matter what. after 2 yrs of use the bed was scratched up and rusting. QUALITY spray in liners like Line-X are the way to go. i had one on my other 06 for almost two years and beat the hell out of it and had no problems, scratches or anything else.

however, it is "to each his own". i will personally would go with line-x. some like drop ins. some cant justify $500 for spray in and can with $100 drop in. go with what will make you happy in the long run.
Old September 10th, 2008, 9:41 PM
CF Beginner

i prefer the line x which is what i have
Old September 11th, 2008, 10:39 PM
CF Junior Member

I got the Herculiner on the truck and have some pictures, it wasn't that bad, but still took me about a day to prep the bed before I could put the liner on it. I still have some touch up to do on spots that I missed when I put it on in a garage with bad lighting.

Side picture

Deck of the bed

Those images are after putting down the second coat.

Old September 12th, 2008, 7:14 PM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: stchman

ORIGINAL: fromdodge2chevy

stchman, you say they have to take the paint and galvanizing off the bed to spray in a liner? bull, they simply scuff up the paint. and not the entire paint. i have had 4 trucks with spray in bed liners and they were all done this way. no problems with any of them. a slide in liner, now that will f up a bed big time. rocks, dirt, sand, water and anything else can and will get under a slide in liner. over time that messes up a bed big time. but they are way cheaper. ya get what ya pay for.
Bull, I have had MANY a truck with a slide in bedliner. As long as you get a high quality bedliner from a reputable manufacturer with excellent fit no problems. My last truck with a slide in bedliner I removed it after 5 years to clean it. Guess what? The paint under the liner was still in excellent condition and I hauled lots of stuff. My Explorer Sport Trac had an all composite bed and it was AWESOME. I wish all manufacturers did this.

My thing is with a spray in is if you don't like it, you are stuck with it. A slide in can be removed and replaced very easily.

Here is a look at what they do when they "prep" your bed for spray in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VQPI...eature=related
5 years without removing it and the paint was in excellent shape? BULL, just the vibration from driving down a road will rub the paint, and thats without hauling anything. i've had both, slide in liners are crap. you get what you pay for.

Quick Reply: Spray-in-bedliner