Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

On Star

Search this Thread

Old November 8th, 2009, 3:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On Star

So I looked at the OnStar website and it stated that my 05 Silverado should have OnStar but my rear view mirror doesn't have the controls (just compass/temp buttons). The steering wheel has the icon of a dude talking. When I press that all it does is mute the radio. Anyone else have the same configuration?
Old November 8th, 2009, 8:25 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

check behind the glove compartment for a silver box with 2 coax cables going to it, and a couple other connectors. If you don't see it right away, then the truck probably wasn't built with onstar
Old November 9th, 2009, 1:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do have the box behind the g-box. But apparently the controls are on the mirror (the mirror that my truck does not have). What are my options form here?
Old November 9th, 2009, 2:23 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

do you have a blue coax connector on that box? or is it a light green almost yellow color?
if it is green it is your xm reciever. If you are 100% sure its onstar, it may be just a matter of getting a new rearview mirror and plugging it in.
I would get one from the scrapyard to save some dough
Old November 9th, 2009, 2:40 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Champ
So I looked at the OnStar website and it stated that my 05 Silverado should have OnStar but my rear view mirror doesn't have the controls (just compass/temp buttons). The steering wheel has the icon of a dude talking. When I press that all it does is mute the radio. Anyone else have the same configuration?
my 03 has the same setup as yours, and i do not have onstar. how many little antennas do you have on your roof ? even if i had onstar from what i have heard, the system is no longer compatible. they went from a analog system to a digital system.. i cannot remember what year the cut off was fro installing the digital systems. i have no love for onstar. spent a lot of long nights driving a tow truck chasing phantom onstar calls. there GPS system could not find it's own a$$ with both hands, vehicles were never where they said. got a call one night, woman alone broke down on I-15 in So Cal @105 mile marker.. spent 4 hrs. looking for her along with the CHP.
found out a couple days later she was at the I-15 105 mile marker IN UTAH
IMO..better off with a good cell phone and AAA

good luck

Last edited by desrtrat; November 9th, 2009 at 2:57 PM.