Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Strange Problem Dash Indicators

Search this Thread

Old February 8th, 2015, 10:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange Problem Dash Indicators

05, 2500,6.0, 85K. Problem that I am having is that since it started getting cold in northern Mn. When first starting the truck in the AM, starts fine, I get the following things happening - tranny temp does not move, fuel gauge not accurate, driver info panel not lite, all warning lights randomly flash (battery.T/C. etc), The battery and oil gauge work fine. After the cab warms up, will still not work. What I have to d o, after driving for 5 min, and cab is warmed up, shut the truck off and restart and all is fine. If truck stays warm all day have no more issues unless I let it set for awhile. The truck runs fine. Somebody mentioned motors but do not understand that Thanks
Old February 9th, 2015, 5:34 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had erratic problems with my PU instruments (Silverado 2005)....it also made the speedometer go berserk. My problem was the instrument panel ribbon board, a.k.a Instrument Cluster . It was replaced under some type of warranty. Never had a problem after that.

Could be a crack in the ribbon board that makes an "Open" when cold and contracted. A high resistance open on part of the circuits, a high resistance ground connection that could affect multiple components. Or bad stepper motors? This could change due to temperature differences. Most all the instruments and lights of the dash run off this cluster.

Mine was covered at around 55K miles under some type of service advisory, special policy bulletin, silent recall, extended warranty, or something. What ever they call an unannounced recall. I was told several terms but don't remember now. I just remember it didn't cost me anything. But my speedometer eventually started acting up (in the cold) and triggered me to take it in.

Yours might be covered under the same? See article and others like it http://drspeedometer.com/silverado-i...cluster-recall

Other option if it is a cluster problem: http://www.gmgaugerepair.com

Last edited by goyakpacking; February 12th, 2015 at 11:15 PM.
Old February 9th, 2015, 9:24 PM
CF Beginner

Default Lights

The thing that throws me is it only happens when it is super cold, Cannot think of anything electrical that controls all this stuff that could be affected by the cols
Old February 9th, 2015, 11:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What did you miss about goyapacking's post?

At any rate, if it's not affecting your driving (stability track warnings/etc), then don't worry about it. Spring around the corner, then summer.

Global Warming will save your vehicle issues.
Old February 10th, 2015, 11:27 PM
CF Beginner

never said it was cold related just that it was bad.