Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

tilt switch

Search this Thread

Old September 11th, 2009, 6:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tilt switch

I have a 2009 chevy 1500 ltz and want to hook up a tilt switch and still use factory remote is this possible
Old September 12th, 2009, 8:41 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

ok, in english......what is a tilt switch? how do you interface with the tilt switch?
Old September 12th, 2009, 9:15 PM
CF Beginner

Its a digital tilt switch. If the truck is lifted by a jack or tow truck it sets off your alarm
Old September 13th, 2009, 1:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah, thanks for clearing that up, my WIFI's been screwing up my mind reader a lot lately.

What a lot of security minded people have been using in recent years is a concept called "layering". In essence, it puts security for your vehicle in layers, each powered and tripped independently of the next layer. Generally there's a real sensitive ("icing" or "frosting") top layer specifically designed to set off the lower, less sensitive layers in the event of illegal
activity. There are also "dummy" shutoffs to head-fake the would-be alarm "PRO".

This not only creates a system which is much harder to disconnect, but is also much easier to trip.

So many consider that hooking up all the security to one circuit is a choice which leaves your vehicle vulnerable.

Last edited by therewolf; September 13th, 2009 at 1:19 AM.
Old September 13th, 2009, 8:47 AM
Banned

http://www.gmaccessorieszone.com/Che...1%5Btype%5D=gm

Add a shock sensor to your factory security system. Set the sensitivity really high and it should detect any type of movement.
They also have a pin switch for the tailgate
Old September 13th, 2009, 9:18 AM
CF Beginner

I have the factory keyless entry and was going to add the GM shock sensor to it. Can I add a aftermarket digital tilt switch to this? I know GM makes one but its mercury and very sensitive.
Old September 14th, 2009, 3:26 PM
Banned

If you know how to wire it properly, you theoretically could use an aftermarket switch.
There are 4 wires to most shock sensors and I assum there would be 3 or 4 to the tilt sensor. Power, ground, warn away, and full alarm. First of all you need to find out if the triggers work on positive or negative voltage. If it works on negative(shows ground when triggered), you can hook that wire to the door pin wire. That way when the tilt sensor triggers, the computer will think that the door is open and will trigger the alarm.