Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

timing problems

Search this Thread

Old July 16th, 2007, 9:23 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timing problems

Dumb timing question [/align][hr]

K I blew up a diesel truck a 95 6.5 td not enough money to put it back together so swaped it out to a 350, bought a painless harness and summit fuel pump and some other odds and ends and tring to get it running but not a lot of sucess, did the base timing disconnecting the spark controller wire and setting the timing then hooking it back up, thing is the truck idles fine but if you romp on it it starts to take off but falls on its face but will eventually take off...... here comes the dumb question found top dead center and the rotor is pointing at #1 cyl. but the distributor is not bac in the correct position the connectors out of the side of it are pointing towards the steering wheel, thought it wasn't a big deal but now after a couple of hours fooling with it i have no other idea why it would still be cutting out like that. so is it that important which way the dist is dropped in even though on base timing I can get the timing set??? another buddy told me that it is adjusting so much that when you romp on the gas the comp. advances the timing some but it may be at its max already and the spark is getting weakened because the rotor is not firing right at the pins in the dist cap. and then it senses to much fuel (rich) and cuts back the fuel injectors and that is were the stumble occurs....anybody still with me after this long winded desciption.... thanks for hanging in there, the engine is out of a 90 chevy 1500 5.7 ltr that ran fine before all this[/align]
Old July 16th, 2007, 11:45 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: timing problems

also noticed a yellow spark from the plug not bright white replaced coil cap rotors wires and plugs whats left...