Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Tires For 2000 Chevy Silverado

Search this Thread

Old June 21st, 2012, 2:31 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tires For 2000 Chevy Silverado

It's about time for me to get new tires. I have always got BF Goodrich All Terrain KO Load E's, but I am going to have to try and save some money this time around if possible. The good thing about BFG's is I've never been on the side of the road in 12 years because of tires and they make my truck look and ride like brand new. The bad thing is they go for about $1150 including installation, tax, and replacement certificates.
I'm thinking about looking at Definity Dakota A/T2 or Cooper Discoverer A/T 3. Does anyone have any ideas on these tires or others?
Thanks.
Old June 21st, 2012, 6:47 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Costco.com is your friend -- buy Michelins when they run the $70 rebate.

I got four Michelin X Radial LT-2 (or something like that) on my 2004 Silverado (265/70-17) and don't regret the decision for a minute. Four tires 'out the door' ran me about $850, but that included lifetime rotation & balance, disposal of the old tires, new valve stems, road hazard warranty, etc., etc.
Old June 21st, 2012, 3:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BFG's run a premium no matter where you get them. they're very proud of their tires, but they should be. They're great and last forever. Are you lookin for another all terrain? or just a street tire?
Old June 21st, 2012, 6:20 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My truck had Firestone destination a/t on it when I bought it and they seemed to be a pretty decent tire. I got new rims and tires and went with BFG a/t's. The Firestones where actually better in the snow.
Old June 21st, 2012, 10:48 PM
CF Junior Member

JK23112 - I might take your advice on Costco, sounds like they have some good deals.

Country_09 - Yes, BFG's are hard to beat IMO. I am wanting to get A/T's again, but the thing about the BFG A/T's is they don't make a lot of noise going down the road and they don't kill my gas mileage, of course, I've never tried anything else. The Definity Dakota A/T2 are on a Buy 3, Get 4th Tire Free special at Pep Boys and they are made my Cooper for Pep Boys. The Cooper Discoverer A/T 3 rated the highest out of all other All Terrain tires for Consumer Reports although it did not even mention BFG A/T, Nittos, etc. so don't know how much I trust that.

GrumpyChevy - Yeah, I've never had Firestones. They got a pretty bad rep after the Ford Explorer fiasco with people flipping vehicles, etc. Luckily, I don't spend much time on the snow, usually is ice instead of snow if we ever get that stuff, which actually sucks even worse, but in 4W Drive, my truck does good if I go slow and take back roads.
Old June 21st, 2012, 11:35 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

is this for strictly road use?
some mud/dirt?
commuting...
Old June 22nd, 2012, 4:14 PM
CF Junior Member

45% commute city, 45% highway, 8% dirt & pasture, 2% mud. Best I could come up with anyway. Basically I use this truck go to my hunting lease 300 miles away, but once I get there, I can't imagine driving through pastures and cotton fields on passenger tires. Never done it, don't plan on it. The BFG's never make that obnoxious noise that means bad gas mileage and low tread wear. But the difference between the BFG's and some of these newcomers that I can't pronounce might be $500 tax/title/license.