Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 23rd, 2015, 2:42 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Tools for lowering spare tire, jack

Old April 13th, 2011, 2:51 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tools for lowering spare tire, jack

I recently obtained my first pick-up ('98 GMC Sierra 1500 SL 4x4), and basically everything needed to manage a spare tire (aside from the spare itself) is missing. That includes the jack, lowering/raising tool, lug wrench, and anything else I forgot to mention. Given that Silverados and Sierras are functionally identical, I assume they come with the same tools.

I'm a noob when it comes to owning a truck, and I'd rather advance my knowledge now before I actually need it. Could somebody list the exact necessities for fixing a flat tire on a Silverado (not necessarily what GM gives you, just what I would need to get the job done). Also, I suspect the lowering/raising tool will be hard to come by unless I get lucky at a junk yard...so are there any proven-reliabe DIY approaches to lowering the spare and raising it back up?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old April 13th, 2011, 10:00 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The same tools that operate the jack also operate the spare tire winch,if you have that you are set.
Old April 14th, 2011, 12:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've lowerred a spare with a coulpe of 1/2 inch drive extensions before. not the easiest way but it worked. Also getting up under there with a set of channel locks and rotating the tube worked also.