Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Trailer brake pkg

Search this Thread

Old April 28th, 2014, 9:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer brake pkg

I was talking to a Chevy rep at a convention in Nashville who told me I can connect a factory in-dash trailer brake to my 2012 Silverado. Two different dealers in the area say it can't be done. Is there anyone to contact that really knows? It doesn't appear to be that big of a deal. The chat line at Chevy didn't have anyone to refer me to and strongly caution it would void the warranty. I would be putting all OEM parts in!?!?!?! Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old April 29th, 2014, 8:01 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum...
For clarification, you want to install a brake controller in your vehicle that does not come equipped with one...?
Rather then use aftermarket you would prefer to use the OEM?
Old April 29th, 2014, 8:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 508 Likes on 468 Posts

have the rep who says it can be done recommend where to go to have it installed....when he says any dealer....you already know what to tell him.

Its not an accessory add on that would just snap in place. the electric brake controller can be a stand alone unit or integrated in the fuel pump control module. it must interact with other modules in the network. The wiring connectors won't be there in the dash.
Old April 30th, 2014, 5:44 AM
CF Beginner

Default Trailer brake pkg

It looks like I'm getting some answers. Just none in the direction I was hoping for. I guess I didn't understand the difference . I have the pigtail connection for trailer brakes that comes with the truck and thought it would only be a matter of connecting to an in-dash set up instead of an after market controller. Technology defeats common sense again!
Old April 30th, 2014, 5:47 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by in2pro
Welcome to the forum...
For clarification, you want to install a brake controller in your vehicle that does not come equipped with one...?
Rather then use aftermarket you would prefer to use the OEM?
Yes, I have the pigtail connection that comes with the truck.
Old April 30th, 2014, 7:07 AM
Super Moderator

that pigtail is for connection to an aftermarket brake controller...which is an easy set up...What your wanting to do with the oem in dash unit is another thing entirely.

the way cars are networked, you can't just bolt in options(unless it comes factory ready...which I do not see in the accessory lists for this truck)...maybe 14 years ago, not today.

if you have someone who says it can be done...that's the guy to talk to.

Last edited by tech2; April 30th, 2014 at 7:13 AM.
Old April 30th, 2014, 11:22 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

You can add an aftermarket one for sure, that is what the blue control wire is for...
Old April 30th, 2014, 3:56 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the help everyone. Looks like this is on the wish list for my next one!
Old May 3rd, 2014, 7:45 AM
CF Beginner

Default Warranty isssues?

How do I get a trailer brake on my truck without voiding the warranty? Chevrolet says if I put an aftermarket one on it voids my warranty. They say the factory one can't be installed. How can the trailer package I got with my truck be safely used without voiding the warranty. I just want to safely pull a small travel trailer and not void my warranty.
Old May 3rd, 2014, 8:10 AM
Super Moderator

an aftermarket brake control will not void your warranty. the truck is designed to be connected to an aftermarket controller. That is why it has a blunt cut wiring harness under the dash...for direct hook up to a brake controller. Are you getting your information from a chat line again?

Last edited by tech2; May 3rd, 2014 at 8:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Trailer brake pkg