Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Trailer towing?

Search this Thread

Old July 25th, 2012, 9:38 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer towing?

I just bought this truck 2007 silverado z71, I am going to pull a 12x7 enclosed V nose single axil trailer with trailer brakes and will have a motorcycle inside, Do I need to hit that button on the shifter for towing? Book says to use it if hauling load almost equivilant to truck, and really what does it do??
Thanks...
Old July 25th, 2012, 11:21 AM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

On my 99 that buttons keeps it from going into overdrive. It is probably the same for your 07.
Old July 25th, 2012, 6:02 PM
CF Active Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Tow/Haul mode causes the transmission to use a different shift program. The transmission will stay in the lower gear longer before up-shifting. Overdrive is still used, just at a higher speed before shifting. I find it useful when driving in hilly country. The owner's manual has a better explanation.
Old July 26th, 2012, 11:00 PM
CF Active Member

It really does depend on how heavy your trailer is. For example, I tow a 8k camper. (just for the record, I always always always keep the tranny out of OD when towing. That is a great way to blow a tranny unless the trailer is supper light).

I used to have an 08 silverado with the 4.8L. My truck would take for ever to accelerate with the tow haul mode off unless I had it almost to the floor. With it on, the computer would keep the transmission in a lower gear for longer than normal (ie, the rpms would go higher before shifts). This was great and would allow my very underpowered engine to accelerator the trailer without having to floor it.

NOW, I upgraded to an 08 vortex max 6.0L. While towing the same trailer, I used to use the tow haul mode but found that on straight roads, it was over kill and my engine would stay in that higher rpm range needlessly. So, I don't tow with it on while in the city. I did notice that with the tow/haul mode on while on the highway (again with the tranny out of OD), I noticed the converter would lock in quicker than if I left the tow/haul mode off.

So, experiment with YOUR truck and trailer and see what YOUR truck likes better given the driving characteristics that are unique to your situation.

PS, I would definitely have the T/H mode on while in a mountainous or hilly area with a heavy camper. Definitely would be good for the fluid and converter.
Old July 27th, 2012, 5:57 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks guy's for your help, I just have a 3500 pound rated trailer I will be hauling a motorcycle and tool box, I will play with it on the way out to see and keep an eye on tranny temps, but on hills I will definety leave on...
Old July 29th, 2012, 11:30 PM
CF Active Member

Dude, you won't have any problems. I just got back from a camping tip. Tranny temp averaged 210. Just FYI.
Old July 30th, 2012, 11:15 AM
CF Beginner

I have a 34 foot trailer that is about 8k lbs loaded and I use to drive in to haul/mode but now I never tow in tow/haul mode anymore, I find my truck (07 silverado 1500HD 6L with 4.10 gears) works great in normal mode and I have never had a problem with tranny temp. Most of my towing is through the Canadian Rockies, I find I get better fuel mileage this way because the engine doesn't rev as high to shift, but I also feather the throttle a little to keep it from always wanting to kick it down a gear, I have also had the ECM remapped to give me more HP and Torque, I know get full throttle right away as stock programming doesn't give full throttle unless you are at approx 5500 rpm and 100 torque load(according to the GM mechanic that did the remapping)
Old August 5th, 2012, 8:43 PM
RAL
CF Beginner

I'm new to the Silverado and I just bought a 2012 Silverado 1500, 5.3 Crew Cab with 3.42 gear ratio, tow package Texas Edition and I'm wondering what the towing lbs are. I'm getting conflicting information. Any help? I have a 26 FT travel trailer that weighs 5,500lbs loaded up.
Old August 5th, 2012, 9:13 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by RAL
I'm new to the Silverado and I just bought a 2012 Silverado 1500, 5.3 Crew Cab with 3.42 gear ratio, tow package Texas Edition and I'm wondering what the towing lbs are. I'm getting conflicting information. Any help? I have a 26 FT travel trailer that weighs 5,500lbs loaded up.

Hey Ral, You'll be fine. I believe you have a 9k limit. Now this is under the best of circumstances. I wouldn't go into the mountains with a 9k trailer. But you should be fine in any environment with a 5500 lb trailer.

You have the six speed so use the transmission to select what gear is best. i doubt you will run in 6th but possibly limit it to 5th. Use the real time mpg monitor to watch to see where you are running the most efficiently. Watch the tranny temp to ensure you don't go over 240 degrees. For example, When I'm towing my 8k camper, I have the four speed vortex max. I keep it in third gear and at 65 mph, my tranny temp is right around 210-212 degrees. Now anytime your tranny fluid is over 200 degrees, it breaks down faster. So, if you find yourself running your tranny over 200 degrees frequently, then prepare to change the fluid at 30k miles instead of the 50k interval. The price of having fun!!!

Just for additional info, Chevy started to use the 3.42 gears instead of the 3.73 (which is what I have) when they went to using the 6 speed trannys. The concept is that you have more gears in the tranny and the tranny makes up for the shorter rear end gears. So, you can tow the same weight as a four speed with the 3.73 gear, but when your not towing, you have the added benefit of the 3.42 gears.

Hope this helps.

Eric
Old August 5th, 2012, 9:31 PM
RAL
CF Beginner

Thanks Eric. I figured I was fine. Should I worry about any break in or just start towing? I'm only going to be towing the trailer 1 or 2 times per month. Maybe 400 miles per month.

Quick Reply: Trailer towing?