Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

tranny shifts hard into 2nd

Search this Thread

Old January 19th, 2010, 5:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'd say it does.. how can u tell? btw truck is a 95 z71...
Old January 19th, 2010, 5:42 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by nauticstar87
I put some Slick 50 Trans additive in my wifes car the other day. Going into 4th the Eclipse would hesitate then slam into 4th put the Slick 50 in and it took care of it immeadiettly. I still need to get the trans flushed though. Fluid is black.

the fluid level is right on in my truck wouldnt adding more fluid make it overfilled..and my fluid is a brownish..
Old January 20th, 2010, 1:16 PM
CF Senior Member

it sounds kind of like throttle position sensor.

http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_cata...erInstallation

scroll down some. but this little site tells you all the goodies about our tranny. im swapping my tps today. just to see if theres any difference. i dont have a problem but thats what returns are for.
Old January 20th, 2010, 1:51 PM
Super Moderator

the only 1 i foudn that could poss. be it is
<TABLE id=product_table class=product_table border=0 width="96%"><TBODY><TR><TD>Shifting suddenly become very hard. When going from park to either reverse or drive it slams into gear. 1-2 and 2-3 shifts are also harsh. All gears seems to work. May be intermittent</TD><TD></TD><TD>CheckThrottlePosition Sensor (TPS).for smooth electrical response. If the response is jumpy or erratic at all.</TD><TD></TD><TD>replaceThrottlePosition Sensor (TPS)..</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

BUT my 3-4th gear is smooth.. oh i found out if i shift it manualy outta first it will shift smooooothhhhh then i just throw it back into D... lol
Old January 20th, 2010, 1:54 PM
Super Moderator

or i jsut found this 1 too...<TABLE id=product_table class=product_table border=0 width="96%"><TBODY><TR><TD>1-2 Shift shudder at WOT delayed or abnormal 1-2 shift There's a problem only on the 1-2 shift</TD><TD></TD><TD>1-2 accumulator piston cracked or stuck cocked in the bore. </TD><TD></TD><TD>Check the yellow spring inside the accum housing for breakage. Also, if the accumulator housing walls are scored, the housing must be replaced. Easy fix in the pan.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

what does WOT mean?
Old January 21st, 2010, 12:56 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think what you have is a bad valve in the valve body of the transmission. There is a GM bulliten on this where the dealer is to drill out the valve location and use a bigger valve. My 97 Tahoe did this when I worked for a dealership. We did not have the drill bit or propper drill for drilling out the valve, so they said if I wanted to buy it they would fix it plus part and labor cost it was cheaper for me to buy a whole new valvebody and install it. Your truck should be equipped with the 4l60E transmission just so you know.
Old January 21st, 2010, 2:17 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by emzornes
I think what you have is a bad valve in the valve body of the transmission. There is a GM bulliten on this where the dealer is to drill out the valve location and use a bigger valve. My 97 Tahoe did this when I worked for a dealership. We did not have the drill bit or propper drill for drilling out the valve, so they said if I wanted to buy it they would fix it plus part and labor cost it was cheaper for me to buy a whole new valvebody and install it. Your truck should be equipped with the 4l60E transmission just so you know.
when it comes to a transmission.. i know NOTHING lol... i wouldn't want to take the pan off bcuz i dont know anything bout them.. thx for the info tho

Last edited by gotstylez; January 21st, 2010 at 2:21 AM.
Old January 21st, 2010, 5:41 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it has a ton of miles it most likely going to be an internal problem.
I agree on checking the TPS but it does sound like the accumulator might be stuck, or another valve in the valvebody is hanging up.
I had a truck that used to get stuck in 1st untill it warmed up, or shift later and really hard because the detent (kickdown) valve would stick. sometimes adding some lucas will help but its only a temporary fix most of the time.
If the fluid is brown and burnt its lost what little lubricating properties it has and will cause valves to stick, and passages can get plugged with clutch material.
For some reason changing the fluid at this point sometimes will end its life, and sometimes will fix it.
Old January 21st, 2010, 2:18 PM
Super Moderator

well if i can ever get money i plan on doin the flush.. it needs it! who wants to help me pay 4 a tranny if it messes it up lol
Old February 5th, 2010, 9:34 PM
Super Moderator

got my flush done today and a oil change so far so good. shifts kinda smooth-er lol.. still has the wait a few seconds from D to R so either way , its changed and it needed it lol