Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

truck runs but wont run in gear

Search this Thread

Old December 29th, 2007, 11:09 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default truck runs but wont run in gear

97 chevy 2500 5.7 vortec 350......truck runs but wont run in gear, when in gear the rpms will drop like right now and die. keep in mind this truck has a plow on it......for the last few weeks ive noticed that sometimes when the truck is in gear the rpms will drop like it wants to die and the only way to keep it going is to give it some gas....usually after the truck is warmed up it wont do that...well today i let it warm up for 20 minutes before i started plowing...it wasent acting up at all. then all of a sudden after i checked the mail and let it idle for 5 minutes i jumped back in it to finish plowing and as soon as i put it in gear it died..of course i started it back upand tryed to go again and it died. then the third time i got it started i let it idle for a minute then i hit the gas really quick and it started shacking and stumbling...i pushed the gas more and it cleared up but shock a little hear and there...thought it was carbon or something...put it in gear and feel flat on its face...barely got it in its parking spot....the truck just had 15 gallons put it 3 days ago...but keep in mind it wants to die after warm and in gear and this been goin on for a few weeks, now today you put it in gear all of a sudden and it wont go, it falls flat on its face.. and ideas as to why this is happening, the fuel is fresh, i removed the air cleaner thinking it wasent getting enough air..that aint the prob..it idles fine but wont go.....fuel pump sounds strong..
Old December 29th, 2007, 10:31 PM
SNO
CF Beginner

Default RE: truck runs but wont run in gear

My guess is that the torque converter is going or gone.
Old December 30th, 2007, 2:53 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: truck runs but wont run in gear

i took the plugs out and sure enough they were ground right down to nothing...gettin new plugs and wires tmrw(broke every wire, so that tells me these plugs been in there for sometime..)and hopefully that will do it, ill let you know