Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

waranty

Search this Thread

Old July 23rd, 2006, 11:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default waranty

will a mass air flow sensor or a intake void the extended warrant
Old July 24th, 2006, 1:16 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: waranty

Doesnt it come with one in the first place?
Old July 24th, 2006, 1:34 AM
CF Senior Member

I think he means a high performance peice.
I would think that it would.
If you put bigger tires on and the dealer knows this they won't touch any part of you drive train.
And neither one of those peices will look factory.
Your best bet would be to wait out the warranty.
Old July 24th, 2006, 1:49 PM
CF Active Member

It depends on dealership. Some are super pickey and if you come in with a vibration or something that has nothing to do with the motor but they see you got an intake or some aftermarket peice on it then they will turn you away.

But I wouldnt' waist your money on a mass airflow sensor anyway.
Old July 24th, 2006, 11:55 PM
CF Senior Member

I would agree with NCHEVYHEVN on the Mass Air flow sensor. An after market highperformance it around 300 dollars. Stock is around 200 hundred. You can cut the screen out of your stock one. If you do make sure you don't cut the wires or it will need to be replaced. For what it will improve I don't think it is really worth the money by itself. With the intake I would probably try to cut the screen out of my stock on first. Of course if it goes out it is only another 100 dollars.
I will say anytime you try to get more power you need to look at what you want to do in the long run. If you aren't planning on keeping this I wouldn't do anything to it.
But if you want more power and plan on keeping this for a long time every little thing gives you something so it helps. It is when you add them all together that you find your power. If you don't want to spend a lot of money you should be able to buy a programmer for I think around 300 dollars. Unless you want a large increase in power this should be enough by itself or with minor add ons.
Some programmers are advertised as not voiding warrenties either. It wouldn't hurt to ask your dealer.
Old July 25th, 2006, 12:32 AM
CF Active Member

ORIGINAL: kcb37

I would agree with NCHEVYHEVN on the Mass Air flow sensor. An after market highperformance it around 300 dollars. Stock is around 200 hundred. You can cut the screen out of your stock one. If you do make sure you don't cut the wires or it will need to be replaced. For what it will improve I don't think it is really worth the money by itself. With the intake I would probably try to cut the screen out of my stock on first. Of course if it goes out it is only another 100 dollars.
I will say anytime you try to get more power you need to look at what you want to do in the long run. If you aren't planning on keeping this I wouldn't do anything to it.
But if you want more power and plan on keeping this for a long time every little thing gives you something so it helps. It is when you add them all together that you find your power. If you don't want to spend a lot of money you should be able to buy a programmer for I think around 300 dollars. Unless you want a large increase in power this should be enough by itself or with minor add ons.
Some programmers are advertised as not voiding warrenties either. It wouldn't hurt to ask your dealer.
There are no real power gains from descreening the MAF. Some people have even had negative effects such as running rich, rough idle, and tripping the SES light on. IMO just leave it alone cause at the most all your going to get from doing it is poor performance.

And spending 300 bucks on an aftermarket one isn't a wise decision either. I've heard some bad stories on them not running right like being way way lean. Just not wise decision.

And I'm not sure how good a programer is on the bigger motors but for on a smaller 4.3 they don't anything as far as performance. Really all the are good for is getting rid of the govener and changing the tire height. Your best bet would be to have someone do a custom tune on it with something like a tunercat. That is your best bet.
Old July 25th, 2006, 1:42 AM
CF Senior Member

The better the tuner the more you will get out of it. And it will agree it depends on what engine/drivetrain you use it on, as to how much of an improvement you get.