Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

What kind of exhaust should I get to make my silverado as loud as possible?

Search this Thread

Old October 28th, 2010, 12:34 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so you have to pick what you really want at the end of the day
Old October 29th, 2010, 1:52 PM
CF Beginner

I've got Flowmaster 40 series on a 2005 crewcab 5.3 and it sounds great. Almost too loud. I can hear it coming down the street long before it gets there. Back seat people say it's too loud for them, but when cruising on the highway, it seems to be Ok. When I did it, it added a bit more 'go' to the truck as well. Sounds nice when first starting it.
Old October 30th, 2010, 5:23 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im deffinetly going to have to check out the moroso spiral mufflers but id have for my 4.3L to sound like a little rice burner i deff need something deep and rumbly
Old October 30th, 2010, 6:51 PM
CF Pro Member

Originally Posted by silverado13
i never said that magnaflow was loud enough, i said it provided a desirable sound, i think they sound great, but i agree they need to be louder, thats why im going to take them off, i dont know your financial situation but ive always found borla to be to expensive and still arent very loud, again, an awesome sound tho, for those of you that are sugesting installing a muffler backwards, well imma put it the way my pa always taught me, if something is ment to be used in a certain way, then use it that way and dont use it backwards, my suggestion is a combination of taking everything into consideration, using things properly, louder sound, better sounds, price, and if you want to get some performance out of it, any muffler that is the style of the stock ones, like the rectangular mufflers, has so much resistance and isnt free flowing, im telling you try the moroso spiral flow bullet style exhaust, i garuntee, it will increase performance, be loud enough, sound great, and they are only about $50 a piece. if you want to be able to hear it from inside the cab, put the turndowns on it but from my experience with turndowns, it gets annoying hearing the droning all the time, but not everyone is the same about that, look them up!
your daddy must not have put a glasspack in backwards, it is louder and more powerfull, have u ever looked down a glasspack? it has inward facing dimples to catch exhaust and silence it, if u turn it around it passes by the dimples, trust me it sounds freakin wicked, i had it on a 305 with a single 2 1/4 exh and man did it sound great with little pea shooter exhaust, and it is hard to argue with strait through when it comes to muffler design, i didnt fall off the turnip truck yesterday i know what im talking about with this stuff, the reason
they have it run a certain way is to silence the sound, turn it around, no more silencing, he wants loud, and i have heard no louder than the setup i am talking about (unless it is open headers), especially in dual exh form, best of all they cost 20 bucks, if i wanted loud, this is what i would put on my truck, then it would take a 90 and come out under my door, poof loudness (another tested exhaust setup) but that is ear plug material
Old October 30th, 2010, 6:54 PM
CF Pro Member

Originally Posted by silverado13
hmmmm i cant really think of any, its either going to be raspy, loud, or deep, magnaflow gives a good deep sound but isnt all that loud, the moroso spiral flows are really loud but are a little on the raspy side and are kinda deep, and i think that flow master is just straight up raspy, and borla is deeeeeep, but not very loud and extremely expensive
this is what i am saying, glasspacks backwards are raspy, loud and deep at an idle, dont knock what u dont know about, new things happen every day
Old October 30th, 2010, 10:14 PM
CF Junior Member

if you want as loud as possible do headers straight piped and dumped right behind the cab. but if you want somthing that you and your neibors would be happy with. i would suggest headers with a tuned exaust with a set of reasonable mufflers. go for tone rather than all out volume.
Old October 31st, 2010, 1:01 AM
CF Active Member

well when i do my exhaust(wont be for about another half a year)
ive decided what im doin
i found out the sound that my friend had was from a 40series
so im goin to get headers magnaflow highflow cats and 2 40series mufflers(dumped after the mufflers)
and have the whole system done in 3"
(6.0v8)

but now my question is this theres like 3 types of 40 series
the delta flow, the super, and the regular
so what the differnce between those?
Old October 31st, 2010, 9:05 AM
CF Junior Member

I never really thought of turning the glasspack backwards? But I really want to give the Moroso exhaust a try with maybe a high flow cat. Since I only have the 4.3L im not going to crazy.
Old October 31st, 2010, 11:41 AM
CF Active Member

highflow cats will make a differnce in sound and i found 2 vids of the muffler with the 4.8L i kno its not a 4.3 but still kinda close i think the vids are the same truck tho
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG3xRgda1dQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYedL...eature=related
sounds nice to me

i have another question when i get my headers should i get long tube or short tube
this is oin to be my daily driver and i want low end torque rather than high end hp
and better fuel milage is always a plus
Old October 31st, 2010, 12:59 PM
CF Pro Member

the long tube headers will give you the low end torque, but watch u get the right ones for your truck, if u dont u could end up with headers pointed at a crossmember

Quick Reply: What kind of exhaust should I get to make my silverado as loud as possible?