Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Will i blow my truck up with a Bully Dog tuner?

Search this Thread

Old February 10th, 2015, 9:49 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will i blow my truck up with a Bully Dog tuner?

Hey guys, recently i got 17 inch tires for my truck and the dealer wants 100 bucks to flash the PCM for the calibration, plus ill need another 50 to pay for gas to drive the 100 miles down there, and food, so i might as well buy a tuner.

Ive been eyeballing the Bullydog GT dash mount unit, and the Diablo Sport Handheld, all which can do the calibration. although my truck has plenty of power i would like to see my exact MPG and turn the power up a little. my motor and tranny are in good shape, took the transmission to get checked out and i was told by a rebuilder it was in excellent shape and should last me a long time if i dont abuse it. my motor is also strong and clean, only using about half a quart every 3K miles. i dont plan on turning the power WAY up but would like a little more passing power. (id probably just recalibrate my shift points)

am i wasting my money or should i cough up the money for the flash? thanks!
Old February 10th, 2015, 8:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You won't blow it up. But if you're gonna spend the money on that, I'd just find a local shop or person who has the ability to tune the truck. Costs about 250$ normally and will actually benefit you more than the handheld programmer like bully dog, hypertech, edge, Diablo etc
Old February 18th, 2015, 2:45 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Diablo tuner, there are a few good tune modifiers around that you take a data file from your ride after driving around for a while and send it to them. They can then do a custom modification of the tune to fit how your engine is running to bring the most out of it. They email the new tune back and you install. Then repeat the process. They will do this numerous times to fine tune everything to where your engine is the "best it can be". One of the best I have seen do this is Lew at DiabLew Tune - Custom Tuning for GM Vehicles - DiabloSport inTune, Trinity, Predator Custom Tuning by 06MonteSS