Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

00 Z71 front suspension clanking

Search this Thread

Old April 10th, 2008, 9:15 PM
aok
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00 Z71 front suspension clanking

There is an apparent noise in my front end that is best described as metal on metal clanking (think two hammers hitting each other) whenever I turn and cause the body to shift.It usually happens in low speed turns, like in a parking lot. Lately there have been 3 to 5 pops when I turn. The front tires are canted enough that the top sticks out farther than the bottom when looking from the front. There is a little excess play in the steering wheel, which I suspect will be fixed with an alignment. I just got back from the local Chevy dealer today and was told that the nerf bars were the problem. The dealership recommended that the right front axle seat be replaced, but never indicated that this was the root of my problem. Could this be the problem?

I had the passenger side CV axle reworked about six months ago and was told that the front differential may need some work. I have been to a few other mechanics and tire shops. I have been told that the idler and pittman arms were bad, I've been told that absolutely nothing is wrong with the front end. No two shops have come up with the same answer. I thought the Chevy dealer would be the ticket, but i was left somewhat dissapointed when they first diagnosed the noise as an exhaust issue.
Any insight or direction is appreciated

Old April 10th, 2008, 9:38 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: 00 Z71 front suspension clanking

Welcome to the forum!!! There was a thread not to far back about nerf bars causing noise, try looking back over a couple of pages or try doing a search.
Old April 10th, 2008, 10:48 PM
aok
CF Beginner

Default RE: 00 Z71 front suspension clanking

yep, saw that. i'm going to take them off and see if it fixes the problem. thanks for a point in the right direction.