Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

'01 with many different starting troubles

Search this Thread

Old April 4th, 2012, 9:40 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '01 with many different starting troubles

I have an '01, 1500, 4.3 liter with about 145k. Lately, when starting, the engine will crank but has a difficult time turning over. Once it starts, it will be good for the day, but every morning is a gamble if it will start or not.

Recent troubles have also developed. Last couple of days, I have had occasions when the truck would start, but would quickly die because there is no fuel pressure (that's what I'm guessing ~ truck won't even idle). I have been able to drive it with by keeping my foot on the gas when stopped. I would have to do this for about a couple of miles and then the truck will idle fine.

Today, I had troubles starting the truck again but this time I notice smoke coming from under the engine as if something was burning. I could not make out what it was.

Any ideas????
Old April 4th, 2012, 10:12 AM
CF Monarch

Received 352 Likes on 333 Posts

When was the last time your truck had a full tune up? There are many things that can cause what you are talking about. You say that it is a fuel problem and this usually caused by a bad fuel pressure regulator. There is also a check valve in the fuel pump which could go bad. That is what happened to my 99 4.3. I put a check valve in the fuel line just before the filter and now it starts great. This might be your problem.