Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

01 Silverado Brake Controller Help

Search this Thread

Old July 18th, 2009, 10:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 Silverado Brake Controller Help

Greetings,

I please need some help!!

I have an 01 silverado, it has factory tow package. I have not used a brake controller before, but now I have a need.

I hooked up the wiring harness adaptor and the controller box and cannot get it to work.

Should the blue wire at the hitch become "hot" when the brakes are pushed?

I have checked the wires at the brake controller, the red light becomes hot when the brakes are pressed, the black wire is hot all the time.

I checked the blue wire under the fuse box in the engine compartment and it is connected. I just cannot get the blue wire hot at the trailer?

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. all other trailer wiring works (brakes, turn, running lights, auxillary red is hot).

Last edited by andystephens2009; July 18th, 2009 at 10:48 PM. Reason: added ps
Old July 19th, 2009, 12:04 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

run down your wiring, could be a faulty controller, the blue wire coming out of it is the activate wire to the trailer, when hooked to a test light it will start dim and gradually get brighter, go through and make sure the wiring on the truck has not been tampered with at some point, in the perfect world all pickups work with all trailers, in our world people that dont know what they are doing ruin this
Old July 19th, 2009, 1:29 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lukemoore646
run down your wiring, could be a faulty controller, the blue wire coming out of it is the activate wire to the trailer, when hooked to a test light it will start dim and gradually get brighter, go through and make sure the wiring on the truck has not been tampered with at some point, in the perfect world all pickups work with all trailers, in our world people that dont know what they are doing ruin this

found a short in the wire....you were correct. started at the fuse box, test light work, went back past the fuse box under the hood, wire did not work, connection was bad.

now all is great. thanks for the help.