Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old August 10th, 2015, 6:49 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Transmission Guides
Print Wikipost

03 4l60e slipping in second. help...

Search this Thread

Old March 16th, 2011, 10:08 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 4l60e slipping in second. help...

i have a 03 1500 silverado with a 4l60/65e it has begun to slip during second. it makes the gear change with no problem but once it moves along at about 2000 rpms then it jumps up to about 2500 under any load then settles back down to round 2300. it does this all through out second gear. i run about 110 psi line pressure before the slip and during it jumps up to about 145 then settles down to 125 when the slipping stops. i have had multiple shops look at this and no such luck. please help
Old March 16th, 2011, 8:22 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like it needs a trans.
Old March 17th, 2011, 6:53 AM
CF Beginner

Yea I pretty much figured. I was hoping someone had the same issue and actually fixed the problem but I was planning a full build anyway.
I was thinking Corvette servos, a shift kit, kevlar bands, larger ported valve body, and a larger pan with cooling tubes.

Any other suggestions on wat I should put in the new trans?
Old March 17th, 2011, 6:54 AM
CF Beginner

Yea I pretty much figured. I was hoping someone had the same issue and actually fixed the problem but I was planning a full build anyway.
I was thinking Corvette servos, a shift kit, kevlar bands, larger ported valve body, and a larger pan with cooling tubes.

Any other suggestions on wat I should put in the new trans?
Old April 19th, 2011, 9:45 PM
CF Beginner

This is where all the trans problem posts stop LOL. First post " My trannys acting up". second post "Sounds like a bad trans". Third post" thats what i thought" Just out of curiousity have you had it scanned to see if it is throwing any codes? There are codes that can be thrown without any indication to you. In all honesty typically if one is jumping 500rpm then you more than likely have a internal mechanical issue. I say exhaust any other option before handing all your money to a tranny shop that will lie to you from the get go. Mine is doing what yours is doing but only jumping a few hundred rpm. I have disconnected the battery once for an hour to clear the codes and it went away until i turned the key off and restarted it. You may try that on yours just to see if it does anything. I am having mine scanned on friday and i will let you know my findings if your interested.
Old April 20th, 2011, 7:35 AM
CF Beginner

Well its good to hear someone havin a similar problem. And yes i had it scanned by a shop with one of the snap-on scanners and it showed no codes or any faults while idling or driving around. Along with being scanned i checked the line pressure during the slip which is what i posted before. Last I had a shop use a trans-x on it which actually controls the transmission instead of the trucks computer and it still slipped so yea i have been through the senerios to figire it out.
if you could let me know what they figure out about yours.
Old June 24th, 2011, 8:51 PM
CF Beginner

if its got over 80k it more than likely need rebuilt the problem u have though is a common 4l60 e issue its the torque converter regulator valve in the valve body is wore letting the lock up clutch slip after a while the torque converer fails do to excessive heat
Old June 25th, 2011, 11:40 AM
CF Beginner

I hadn't heard of that issue in the one newer than 2000 but I actually found the problem. Once torn apart at the trans shop we found a crack in the casing around the 2nd gear servo so causing a fluid seep under load. (my slip). Had a new one built. Kevlar bands vette servos, ported valve body, 5 gear planetary, and many hardened steel parts to absorb the torque. All in all very impressed with the new trans.
Old June 25th, 2011, 4:06 PM
CF Beginner

should hold good with that set up a crack in the case is real rare i guess your luck is like mine
Old June 26th, 2011, 2:17 AM
CF Beginner

Yea hopefully it holds together well. Yea even my trans guy was like wtf. What did u do to yours?

Quick Reply: 03 4l60e slipping in second. help...