Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

04 Silv 5.3L 1500 Gas Fill problem

Search this Thread

Old August 19th, 2009, 11:10 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Silv 5.3L 1500 Gas Fill problem

What should I do? I can't put more than 2 gallon a gas in at a time. The fill tube is gurgling and the pump handle keeps shutting off. What causes this?
Old August 19th, 2009, 11:24 AM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Vahalla
What should I do? I can't put more than 2 gallon a gas in at a time. The fill tube is gurgling and the pump handle keeps shutting off. What causes this?

have you recently had the fuel pump changed?just my experience ..after i changed the fuel pump out.. it started doing it as soon as i was ready to take her camping and driving 300 miles one way....i could only get around 10 bucks then it would kick the gas back out and onto the ground.......keep us posted if you find some interesting info...air is sometimes the culpret

Last edited by myotherchevyisablazer; August 19th, 2009 at 11:29 AM.
Old August 19th, 2009, 11:30 AM
CF Beginner

I can't even get a couple gallons in. I think it is my evap cannister, but not sure.

A couple had a fight at a resturant, and the man left peeling tire in a gravel parking lot. Needless to say, he threw rocks all over my truck and my back window also was busted out from the rock spray. After i had it fixed this problem started. I don't know if the mechanic put the box on a line or what.
Old August 19th, 2009, 11:36 AM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Vahalla
I can't even get a couple gallons in. I think it is my evap cannister, but not sure.

A couple had a fight at a resturant, and the man left peeling tire in a gravel parking lot. Needless to say, he threw rocks all over my truck and my back window also was busted out from the rock spray. After i had it fixed this problem started. I don't know if the mechanic put the box on a line or what.
sorry to hear about your truck ....what do you mean put the box on the line?im kinda slow/// evap can could be the prob..sometimes kinke dlines ..how it happens i donyt know...is your check engine light on?

Last edited by myotherchevyisablazer; August 19th, 2009 at 11:41 AM.
Old August 19th, 2009, 6:32 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can check the vent hose, it is the smaller one beside the fill hose. Also pull the fill line off the tank (it is held on buy a hose clamp) just inside the tank is a screen that sometimes gets a bunch of trash in it.