Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

06 silverado rear windshield problem.

Search this Thread

Old January 27th, 2007, 7:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 silverado rear windshield problem.

Hi i bought a 06 silverado 1500 (reg. cab. w/t 4wd) new in July. I was rear ended on 12-19-06 which caused damage to the rear frame, rear body, and blew out my rear windshield. There was no damage to the cab other than my head hitting the rear glass and braking it. Well my truck is all fixed but except for the rear glass. A private glass company came to the autobody place to replace my window but the glass would not fit. The openning was to small by about 1/4 inch. So they had another glass company come out and they encountered the same problem. (These were all aftermarket rear windows) The auto body then contacted a chevy dealership and had them run the vin #. Dealership got the model glass from the vin and ordered the factory gm glass. Once again this glass was still too big by a 1/4". The dealership then reorded another gm window believing the first may have been packaged wrong. Once agian the new gm glass was to big. Also a gm slider window was tried. 2 aftermarket and 3 gm windows have been tried. So now everyone is stumped. I'm on the phone everyday with gm and they are giving me no help. Keep throwing me from person to person. My dealship is also not helping too much. I am told engineers are looking into the problem. I have had a rental truck this whole time covered by the person who hit me insurance company. Well their insurance company contacted me and canceled payment on this rental due to repairs taking too long and it being a gm defect/problem. Now i'm battling with gm for rental car coverage and basically getting the blow off b/c they are claiming it due to the fact it was in an accident. So now i'm paying for the rental out of my own pocket. I have 2 different case #'s against chevrolet and getting no where. What other actions should i be taking? Also has anyone else run into this rear window problem. I have measured countless rear silverado windows in the past weeks and they all have a 18" window opening in the center. My truck measures 17 5/8" to center. this truck was seen by the delearship manager, and 2 other auto body shops to make sure there was no damage to the cab during the accident. The window opening is measuring up square and has no creases or any other visible defects. Also take a look at your own rear glass. Since i've been checking everyone i see. You would not believe how poorly they are installed. Most are installed crooked and most have a large gap around the glass on the top passenger side. Sorry to be venting here but i've been without my new truck since 12-19-06 and am now paying for my own rental!! This is just ridiculous to me. Please give me some ideas on what to do. Thanks for any help