Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

07 silverado 5.3 whole lot of problems not much money

Search this Thread

Old June 25th, 2014 | 6:42 PM
CF Beginner

Angry 07 silverado 5.3 whole lot of problems not much money

so about 2 months ago my power steering was giving out. did the typical work when moving doesn't work parked. so i replaced the power steering pump. a week later it was worse. it was like the pump was actually fighting me. even driving down the road if the rpms weren't 3k+ it would be a PITA to turn the wheel (im 6'4 300lb and a farmer so im no weakling) so took the pump out and returned it as defective. put a new pump in same issue still.

weird part is one night i was leaving work and whipped a cookie and it magically started working. untill about a week ago we had a bad rain and i needed to make trenches for water to flow. so instead of making them by hand i shut off my traction control held the brake a little and just tore up the ground with my tires(i only did this for about 5 feet and it was in mud and grass so nothing too intense). after doing it a couple times my "service stabilitrak" "service traction control" "stabilitrack off" "traction control" off and my ABS light have all stayed on and the steering problems are back... i really love this pickup but i really don't have the money to have it shopped without already knowing what's wrong and i can't let it sit in a dealer shop for even more than a day let alone a week+. any help appreciated.
Old June 25th, 2014 | 7:58 PM
CF Beginner

As far as the power steering problems , if its fighting you or trying to pull the steering wheel to the left or right could be the steering gear it's self not the pump .. But that would not cause concern with the abs or trac control ... Is pos to check under your truck look at you wheel speed sensors check make sure they didn't get ripped off by something .. Or just may be dirty between the sensor and the tone wheel it reads may try cleaning around all the wheel speed sensors then make sure all connections are clean and tight
Old June 26th, 2014 | 9:30 AM
CF Beginner

mechanic going to rotate my tires (i don't have a hoist and i really dont feel like floating my entire pickup on jacks to rotate them) so i asked him to take a look at it while he's down there.
Old June 26th, 2014 | 2:44 PM
CF Beginner

found out the computer at the parts store was having issues so they gave me the wrong part. replacing power steering pump tomorrow so will have updates then. going to take my pickup to the car wash tomorrow aswell clean everything off see if my traction control and stabilitrak will stop having issues -.-