Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

120 volts

Search this Thread

Old September 10th, 2014, 10:47 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 120 volts

i was thinking a bit about 110v on the service truck.

I was thinking of a few options, short of running the welder i would think 15-20 amps of 110v power should be plenty but there will be enough times ill need for things like plugging the the block of my semi heater at -40 to get the truck fired up that will draw a good 15 amps for an hour or so.

I have a big 6500watt generator I was thinking of mounting to the truck but the generator is quite large and would take up a lot of room. I also use the generator for my camper, witch i use my other pickup to pull my camper.

I came up with another idea today. a high amp alt 200-250amp with a 2000w continuous inverter. but a bit worried that even though a alt rated at 200+amps should be able to keep up with it that it will overheat and cook the very expensive high amp alt putting that kind of load on it for a extended period of time. although the truck does have a second battery tray where a second battery could be added for shorter high loads.

i could still load up the generator for temporary higher electric usage but would like to always have power on the truck at a min of 15-20amps

the other idea is to get a smaller generator that can be mounted inside one of the boxes. and then route the exhaust out.
Old September 11th, 2014, 8:28 AM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

There are several things that you might want to consider..
How often you will use it, and how long you will use it, as well as the demand..
There is no way an inverter is going to power a welder without serious upgrades to the vehicles charging system including a way to regulate engine RPM...
So if its a welder or other high current demand tools a generator is the best choice..
If you are running only hand tools then an inverter I think would work fine as long as they are not high current demand for extended periods like a compressor...
Also consider that if you get the smaller 2000 Watt inverter look at one that have a propane option, propane is a much easier fuel to transport and is considerably less flammable then gasoline and can be stored for extended periods without an risk of mess from spillage
Old September 11th, 2014, 12:43 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its not my intention to try to run a welder off the inverter but the hardest usage I would like to use the inverter for would be about 1hr at 15 amps aprox160 amps @ 12v once a week for a couple months out of the year.but after considering a inverter is not 100% efficient and the vehicle will have its own electrics to run it would be running the alt near 100% capacity. Other usage would just be small hand tools and low amp usage.