Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

1980 chevy silverado problems

Search this Thread

Old September 12th, 2008, 12:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1980 chevy silverado problems

I just recently aquired a 1980 Chevy Silverado with a 454 last week and I am having some issues. The truck sat for almost a year before I bought it and now I am trying to work some bugs out.

Anyways yesterday I was driving home and I fouled out the spark plugs (I think) I bought new cap, rotor, and wires just haven't put htem on yet. It runs rough right now, but I expect it to run better after a "tune up".

Well I flooded the truck outl and I was cranking on the motor to try to start it up and ended up melting the power wire going from the Battery to the Starter. I put a brand new battery in the other day and the motor has always cranked real slow kinda like a week battery. I ended up replacing the ground wire when I replaced the battery but left the power cable alone. The previous owner had the Negative battery wire grounded on the Alternator bracket.

My questions are,

1. Shouldn't the battery be grounded on a chassis?

2. What caused the power wire to "melt"?

BTW It looks like it has a new starter (still shiny)

3. what causes the motor to crank over weak?
Old September 12th, 2008, 2:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1980 chevy silverado problems

I had the same problem with my landcruiser Someone grounded the neg to the bracket, I moved the ground to the engine block and the starter spun three times as fast.

Hope this helps