Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

1983 silverado 4x4 coolant problems? Help please..

Search this Thread

Old March 21st, 2007, 10:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1983 silverado 4x4 coolant problems? Help please..

Here is what i have, a 83 silverado. And when i run the truck i notice it leaking coolant from the hose going to the TOP of the radiator, even though it doesn't leak until it gets warm, now the truck doesn't overheat it will also seep from the gasket at the thermostat housing, i push in the radiator hose and it is very hard to push or squeeze. I also noticed that the truck had a factory coolant res but it was broken, so someone took a 1 gallon coolant can and put a hose from the radiator to the can, it doesn't have that much coolant in it, but i also noticed the heat is really hot in the truck but the coolant temp never goes really high, can someone tell me what to do about this? I don't want to blow my radiator, also it is a 305 engine.. Thanks..
Old March 22nd, 2007, 2:02 AM
CF Active Member

Default RE: 1983 silverado 4x4 coolant problems? Help please..

um, take off the top hose and inspect the thermostat area. same with the other end of the hose. thats kinda what all i suggest.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 5:33 AM
CF Beginner

first off change the thermosat gasket and maybe trim the hose off about an inch it is long enough, most is. this should solve your problem. the hose will look good, but still can leak. this is a very strong engine. if you keep it tuned up it will lst a long time .. i had a 77 c10 that had the same engine in it and it was great. i had a bad oil leak from the front and rear main seal and it leak about 2-3 quarts a day. no joke and i still ran it b.cause i dint have the time to fix it and it never blowed up. chevy is great. just replace the gasket and cut the hose a little and this should fix ur problem . and the overfow tank/jug. get rid of it. as long as it isnt overheating it doesnt do anything . i have ran several cars and trucks without them. or nothing in them . get rid of it or replace it check out summit racing they have slick ones cheap.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 7:43 AM
CF Beginner

thanks gearhead. but why is the hose so hard to squeeze? I will change the gasket and check the thermostat with the wifes pan in the kitchen with some water and then let it boil to see if she opens all the way, i will check out summet. And this is my first chevy and so far i do like it, i mean rides great and runs great, and u can get parts for them just by walking to the help section at the auto parts store. Thanks i will give that a shot..
Old April 2nd, 2007, 8:04 AM
CF Beginner

Personally Id pickup an overflow res. from a junkyard. For me its peace of mind, without one you run the risk of an air bubble in your coolant system, which if left unchecked, can lead to overheating and engine damage. First thing that comes to mind when reading your post is your thermostat may be installed incorrectly, Id also pickup a new radiator cap, if you have the wrong cap for your vehicle or if its old, you could be over pressurizing your system.
Old April 2nd, 2007, 7:47 PM
CF Pro Member

ORIGINAL: 83Silver

Here is what i have, a 83 silverado. And when i run the truck i notice it leaking coolant from the hose going to the TOP of the radiator, even though it doesn't leak until it gets warm, now the truck doesn't overheat it will also seep from the gasket at the thermostat housing, i push in the radiator hose and it is very hard to push or squeeze. I also noticed that the truck had a factory coolant res but it was broken, so someone took a 1 gallon coolant can and put a hose from the radiator to the can, it doesn't have that much coolant in it, but i also noticed the heat is really hot in the truck but the coolant temp never goes really high, can someone tell me what to do about this? I don't want to blow my radiator, also it is a 305 engine.. Thanks..
I have similar issues with my 86 305.
The reason the top hose doesn't leak till it gets warm is that hose is the return ... when the thermostat opens ( warm ) the hot antifreeze goes into the top of the rad for cooling. You probably one have of those inexpensive band hose clamp that will loosen.
When the thermostat is open that hose will be harder to squeeze because of the flow of antifreeze.

My thermostat housing leaks with a gasket as well. It's aluminum and it will expand and contract differently than the cast iron intake so I use RTV silicon ... no leaks.

You should get a proper reservoir since the cooling system is supposed to be a sealed pressurized system and it doesn't sound like your set up meets this.
Old April 2nd, 2007, 11:33 PM
CF Junior Member

also check your radiator cap to make sure it's releasing the correct amount of pressure and also make sure the hose and tube coming out of the radiator fill neck are not plugged. the cap should release pressure between 15 and 20 pounds of pressure.
Old July 5th, 2007, 5:37 PM
CF Beginner

I see that you have a 83 also. I have an 83 c20 silverado. My uncle gave to me for my18th b-day last year. I love the truck and pan to keep it till death. I was woundering if you have any pics Id like to see them. Im going to post some pics of my own very very soon.
~NICK~ [8D]